hot rodding solar panels (can it be done?)

Options
al128
al128 Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
Hi there,

would it be possible to get more energy out of a solar panel than whats originally designed into?

I was thinking

- mirrors
- lenses
- reflectors
- etc....

any thoughts/guesses?

thx and cheers
al

Comments

• newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: hot rodding solar panels (can it be done?)

Yes. Most of these things will violate the warranty, but if you have used panels or something you might not care. Reflecting a lot of light could damage the panels or just create a situation where they don't hold up quite as long, but if you are in NY and you double the amount of light that hits a module you'll get about the same as you'd have in LA with no reflector.

If you have a wall or something just on the north side of the modules you could certainly make sure that wall was white.

But again, don't forget about the warranty and be reasonable. Doubling the light that hits a module in the winter in NY would be a lot different than doubling the light that hits a module in the summer in LA.

There are concentrated solar modules that are manufactured. They aren't common.
  • al128
    al128 Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

1st: THX!!!

for what its worth, I am at lat -32º and get (anual avg.) 3600 kcal/m2/day, with peaks of 6000+ around Dec/Jan ...

and yes, I am at the southern hemisphere ;)

I was thinking about the lines of a winter boost, where numbers go below 2000kcal - pretty much in line with what you suggested

again,
    thx
    al
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Move to where it is -30 with lots of snow for reflection! You can get a much greater output!

Other than that, most solutions are not recommended. I think you might find it is more cost effective to add panels.

Icarus
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Living in Nova Scotia Canada, I get my highest outputs during winter, with the sun low on the horizon, the panels basically vertical and the ground covered with snow. No fear of overheating the panels on those cold days and the extra boost helps offset the short winter days.
    Wayne
  • dulley
    dulley Registered Users Posts: 18
    Options

What type of white paint would you use gloss or flat
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

If you're going to use paint, I would go with flat. Reasom being, it reflects light to a much larger area. Not super intense in a few areas, but a lower intensity over a much wider area. To have only portions of the PV's super lit, as would tend to happen with gloss paint, (kind of like a mirror) would, a lot of the time, be kind of like partial shade on the rest of the panel, thus limiting the current to what the least lit areas would pass.
    Wayne