Pump Max Wattage Question

V8vega
V8vega Registered Users Posts: 3
Hello.
My pump (Groundfos 6 SQF-3) is rated at 900 watts max. How many of my 6 Schott Poly 240 panels can I run? If I go over the 100 volt mark (4 panels), wattage will be at 960 watts. I know this would be at 100% efficiency which isn't going to happen. Can (should?) I run all 6 in series on a fixed mount & not hurt the controller or pump? The well is in solar zone 1 in S.E. Arizona.
- Wayne.

Comments

• Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭
    Re: Pump Max Wattage Question

I've seen the pumps as high as 200V. The Grundfos really like the higher volts. The pump can handle up to 300V DC and that's what I would shoot for. Put your panels in a configuration that will let you get close as possible to 300V without going over. I don't think it will hurt to go over on the watts, it can only consume the 900W.
  • V8vega

That's what I figured. I assumed the watt thing wasn't an issue, but my wife just handed me $1K to help pay for the pump so I want to be sure...LOL! Time to get off my rear & get this done. :)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

wish i could get my wife to do that.:roll:
  • V8vega
    niel wrote: »
    wish i could get my wife to do that.:roll:
    ...LOLl! When I bought the land, she was NOT down with it at all. She thought that southern Arizona was like Phoenix...or worse. After planting trees & just hanging out there, It's all she talks about anymore. :cool: