solar fan for playhouse

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I want to ventilate a playhouse with a solar powered fan. I only need to ventilate when the sun is making the playhouse hot. I plan to use a 5 watt solar panel on the roof directly wired to a 12V DC fan. Is it really that easy or do I need other components?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: solar fan for playhouse

In reality, you would probably be better off just using any one of a number of roof vents, hatches, or turbines (depending on how much air you want to move).

A 5 watt panel + DC fan (if you can find one) will hardly move any air at all.

If you want to just to a solar demonstration--you could find an old DC computer cooling (12 volt?) fan and find the right size panel for it (wattage, voltage). It would probably not be very reliable.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

a bigger fan and more pv would be better for air circulation, but not so good for little fingers that may find there way into the blades. if the opening itself doesn't allow enough ventilation i see no reason why you couldn't try using solar with a fan, but you might want to use a small fan rather than a big one or even a few small fans. if piecing this together yourself be sure you match up the componenents as you don't want for example a fan that will draw more than the pv could give.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are a bunch of solar powered attic fans out there that have the cell and the fan all in one unit. (I believe NAWS has some). If little fingers are a problem, screen with hardware cloth.

Icarus
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

Get a 10" electric fan from an auto junk yard + a 20W panel. With a 20 watt it will move some air but not a full speed, so it will be safe and cheap.