BLEMISHED solar panels are they safe to buy?

Options
solarpowernovice
solarpowernovice Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭
I found blemished american made panels for very cheap and good deal on shipping. It says

*NOTE*

THESE PANELS COME WITH A 30 DAY DOA GUARANTEE ONLY

I'm new to solar and I just bought all the components for the system I'm now in the market for solar panels, anyway heres the link. http://www.simpleray.com/AUO-245-Watt-BLEMISHED-Made-in-USA-p/1800-104ab.htm?CartID=1 would it just be better to pay the $70 more a piece for the non blemished ones with a warranty? I only need 3 or 4 panels max for my 12v off grid system.

Comments

• SolInvictus
    SolInvictus Solar Expert Posts: 138
    Options
    Re: BLEMISHED solar panels are they safe to buy?

The site claims:
    Frames contain minor scuffs that prevent them from being sold as new merchandise. Please call for more details.
    Minor scratches on the frames do not reduce the price to $.62 / (rated watt). They are eliminating the 20 year to 25 year warranty on power output (why?), and I would be very concerned about those additional details that require a phone call. If you could measure their electrical characteristics and inspect them personally prior to purchase, then I would be more inclined to take a chance.

I think AUO is AU Optronics which is a Taiwanese company. Wiki AU Optronics states:
    On September 20, 2012, AU Optronics Corporation was sentenced to pay a US$500 million criminal fine for its participation in a five-year conspiracy to fix the prices of thin-film transistor LCD panels sold worldwide. Its American subsidiary and two former top executives were also sentenced. The two executives were sentenced to prison and fined for their roles in the conspiracy. The $500 million fine matches the largest fine imposed against a company for violating U.S. antitrust laws.
    Are you sure you want to do business with these people?
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: BLEMISHED solar panels are they safe to buy?

Most of mine are B stock but not from companies that have been involved in fraud, so buyer beware. I am using Evergreen and High tech solar panels, both made in U.S.A. The bottom line is they have cosmetic imperfections, but make power every sunny day! If you buy from a good company you will probably be fine.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Skip
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014.