Still Ignorant and Seeking more knowledge

solarnovice
solarnovice Registered Users Posts: 5
Totally newbie question.

If I wanted to run an PV array to power my workshop consisting of all the power tools you would use in woodworking, what would be the ideal setup.

IE: What type of battery bank ( 12,24,48 )? What type of inverter (PVM or MPPT)? How many panels of say 100w each would I need?

;) I quess what I'm asking for is for someone to tell me how to design my system. Seems I am totally clueless here. (and I thought I had done sufficient research on this idea. Obviously wrong on that thought also).

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My experience with solar is confined to helping my brother hook up a Harbor Freight 45w kit to charge a battery for his teardrop trailer.

Thanks again guys

The new guy

Comments

• solarnovice
    solarnovice Registered Users Posts: 5
    Re: Stil Ignorant and Seeking more knowledge

Oh, and feel free to make recommendations on brands of inverters also. Or panels. Or batteries. Like I said, I'm looking for the ideal setup, but also realize I have caviar taste on a meatloaf budget.

Thanks.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Stil Ignorant and Seeking more knowledge

So do you have grid power to the shop now? Is it reliable?

Grid tie solar is much cheaper and easier than standalone with batteries.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Re: Still Ignorant and Seeking more knowledge

You are going to have to provide your load requirements first. That is the starting point.

For example, machine #1, draws 900watts and will be "on" for 2 hours each day.
    Also, since we are talking about larger equipment, you would need to know the total wattage and starting wattage of this equipment. Meaning if you expect to run machine #1, #4 and #6 at the "same time" what is their combined wattage and "starting wattage". That number will be needed to determine the size of your inverter.

Think about everything that you will be using, especially at the same time; like dust collection, which generally runs when any machine is running.

As many will tell you, if you have grid power available, use it. Solar will cost you 10x the cost of buying it from the electric company. It will never pay for itself (except perhaps in a grid-tie system which would still take many many many years).

This is not going to be a small system by any means. Guessing $30k+ if it is a typical woodworking shop that I am familiar with.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • AceNZ
    AceNZ Solar Expert Posts: 104 ✭✭✭✭
    If I wanted to run an PV array to power my workshop consisting of all the power tools you would use in woodworking, what would be the ideal setup.

Must have:
    PV panels
    Inverter
    Wiring / breakers / panel

Optional:
    Batteries
    Inverter/charger
    Battery meter
    Transfer switch
    Generator
    IE: What type of battery bank ( 12,24,48 )? What type of inverter (PVM or MPPT)? How many panels of say 100w each would I need?

The specifics depend on things like:
    Maximum load (including start-up current, which can be large for motors)
    Your latitude, weather and average insolation (hours of sun per day)
    Possible mounting locations: area, material under the panels (wood, steel, dirt), amount of shadowing, existing tilt and direction
    Whether you want to connect to the grid or be entirely off-grid
    I quess what I'm asking for is for someone to tell me how to design my system.

Awfully hard to do in a meaningful way in a forum like this.
    Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hire some local expert help, if you can. Otherwise, if you can come up with some specific questions, it's easier to provide specific answers.
  • SolInvictus
    SolInvictus Solar Expert Posts: 138

With the criteria changed to power only the workshop with no plans to expand the system to power the house, then I would choose a 24 V battery array.

The PV panels that have the correct voltages for off-grid systems usually have a power rating around 140 W and cost about $2 / (rated watt). You can use an inexpensive PWM charge controller, like the Schneider Electric C series, with these panels. However, the low cost PV panels whose price ranges around $1 / (rated watt) usually have voltages that are a poor match to battery arrays. For them you need to use high priced MPPT charge controllers like the Tristar that you mentioned. The most cost effective approach depends on the size of your PV array and in your case, the large distance between the PV array and the charge controller. The lowest priced PV panels currently have power ratings around 250 W.

If you will mount the PV panels 100 feet from the workshop, then you will have to use a MPPT charge controller because you need the high voltage to minimize the power loss in the wiring and cost of the cable. Normally one would dig a trench and lay underground feeder for that cable run with conduit only at the risers at each end. Maybe you have a good reason not to, but the roof of the workshop ought to be a good place to mount the PV panels.

We can not size your PV array, battery array and inverter because you are not telling us your power consumption. It sounds like only 1 person will be using your workshop which limits the equipment running simultaneously to lights, dust filter and one power tool. Maybe you should get a Kill-a-Watt meter to test your equipment.