CommBox Very cool, Memory Card issue, other suggestions

It won't see the 16GB memory card I put into it (custom logging). The internal memory space is formatted FAT16 and only 200MB or so. Does the Commbox not support SDHC (classic SD is limited to 2GB, 4GB with hacks) or not support FAT32? The smallest extra memory card I have is 16GB. The card mounts and reads fine on a PC.

Also sucks CommBox doesn't have WiFi. The SCP/inverter is on the opposite corner of the house as the router. I have a WiFi bridge leftover that was formerly used with the prior VIP622 dish network DVR/receiver (no Wifi, new hopper has WiFi) and fortunately it automatically forwards everything (2 IPs on the same MAC address of the bridge).

Another change I want to see is see L1/L2 separately in the graph screens (probably 2 series, and also the status summary) at least for the loads as I don't have any 240V loads on the inverter and seeing the legs separately narrows down what would be causing high usage.

Only one minor issue when plugging in the CommBox into the Xanbus which a reset of the charge controllers fixed - the overall system battery voltage was reading 43.5V while all the individual charge controllers said 49.4V about (I ran the system off-grid last night to give the batteries their occasional cycle, every 2 weeks).

Everything else about the CommBox is great. It effectively renders the XW-Config obsolete (though I still like its inverter status screen because it shows L1/L2 separately). It it doesn't seem to crash. XW-Config lasts 15-60 minutes before crashing.

Comments

• DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Re: CommBox Very cool, Memory Card issue, other suggestions
    It won't see the 16GB memory card I put into it (custom logging). The internal memory space is formatted FAT16 and only 200MB or so. Does the Commbox not support SDHC (classic SD is limited to 2GB, 4GB with hacks) or not support FAT32? The smallest extra memory card I have is 16GB. The card mounts and reads fine on a PC........

The docs (Combox quick start guide) state :
    Memory : External Micro-SD Card 2GB or more, class 2 or better recommended

So FAT32/SDHC should be good to go!
    Something like that happened to me once with another device, I swore it was formatted in FAT32, but someone had formatted it in NTFS and never told me!
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭

This is confusing .. as a different document (Conext ComBox Owners Guide_RevB.pdf) says this on page A2:
    External Micro-SD Card (Connector: uSD push-push, [B]up to 2 GB[/B], Class 2 or better recommended)

• YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭

Got the memory card to work after rebooting it. It only lets you log 20 things though.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

I am running 32GB card Fat32 no problems shows 10 year or better for logging.Agree, I wish they would expand the number of items that can be logged. Maybe in a later Firmware revision??I only have (at this time) GT/TX 1 ea inverters connected so I don't see all of the other parameters.I also, log all of my inverter items with PVI-Mon Program similar to SGT-View but improved. for grid tie.Like my ComBox sure it will improve over time.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!