How to mix PV?

Out There
Out There Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭✭✭
This is WAY premature, as I haven't yet gotten everything I own completely operational…. but my mind is always racing ahead. When the time comes (in a year or two :blush:), what is the conventional wisdom regarding adding PV panels to my system? I would hope to purchase some higher output panels than what I have. Would it be cost effective to add another array? Would it be better to replace what I've got? If adding a new array, how would they need to be wired? Will I need a separate charge controller?
As it is, I expect to dedicate the C-40 to my (future) micro-hydro turbine and use it in the load diversion mode and get a new one (MPPT) for my PV. Is this wise?
THanks, guys!

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: How to mix PV?

Well at the rate well known brands disappear from existence (Evergreen for example) I would buy them all together for your maximum array size, so they are a matched set. Just my thinking.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: How to mix PV?
    Out There wrote: »
    This is WAY premature, as I haven't yet gotten everything I own completely operational…. but my mind is always racing ahead. When the time comes (in a year or two :blush:), what is the conventional wisdom regarding adding PV panels to my system?

Choose an array voltage and then add strings in parallel. If you use standard crystalline panels (i.e. no thin film) and match cell numbers in each string you will do pretty well, even with one MPPT.