flexmax 60 problems

wild01
wild01 Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
So this is a rare problem, but it's really getting on my nerves! If I am trying to run a really big load when my batteries are low, the flexmax kicks off and snoozes for 5 minutes when the load causes the battery voltage to drop. very very annoying as the battery is to low to power the load, but my array is putting out plenty of power, ie (more than enough to power the load) Anyone know of a firmware fix, setting change etc?

(This morning I got up to a flat tire and could only run the air compressor for 45 seconds every 5 minutes the array was outputing 49 amps @ 39 volts (36 volt sys)and everytime the battery voltage dropped the flexmax took it's little nap)

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: flexmax 60 problems
    wild01 wrote: »
    So this is a rare problem, but it's really getting on my nerves! If I am trying to run a really big load when my batteries are low, the flexmax kicks off and snoozes for 5 minutes when the load causes the battery voltage to drop. very very annoying as the battery is to low to power the load, but my array is putting out plenty of power, ie (more than enough to power the load) Anyone know of a firmware fix, setting change etc?

(This morning I got up to a flat tire and could only run the air compressor for 45 seconds every 5 minutes the array was outputing 49 amps @ 39 volts (36 volt sys)and everytime the battery voltage dropped the flexmax took it's little nap)

Sounds like your batteries are next to being totally dead, and when you apply a heavy load the voltage drops low enough to convince the FlexMax there is not just a battery in serious need of charging, but a dead battery, or even no battery at all connected to it, so it shuts down. Sounds like the batteries have been ruined because of long term deficit charging. May well need new batteries, and then ease way up on power usage so as not to damage the new batteries.
    Running a "really big load" on low batteries is asking for trouble in several ways.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭

Either batteries are bad, as Wayne said, or, perhaps the load is simply too big for the batteries.

What is the battery voltage before you apply the load? How does it change when the load is applied?
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

The FM should not go to snoozing because the battery voltage dropped OR the current FROM the FM went up
    due to the sudden increased load that came on.

Did you notice if the MF went to snoozine when the load first came on or when the load let back up ?
    Maybe the load kept on and did not let up ?

How low did the battery voltage fall if you noticed that ?

boB