Hello Wind and Sun folks, new guy here with my info and prob lots of questions.

Rikerz
Rikerz New Member Posts: 19
New to the solar scene, been lurking (sounds creepy) around here for about a month now. Been reading and learning alot but some answers I cannot find. Here is my newly installed "system" with my info:

My initial setup goal: To learn all I can, not trying to "live off the grid" anytime soon, maybe some led lights now, next goal is a dc well pump.
My setup: 2 Renogy 100w Mono panels, Morningstar SunSaver SS-MPPT-15L, 2 Exide GC-145 batteries, tiny 150w inverter (50a fused) (testing purposes only), 4 AWG wire from batts to inverter, 8 awg wired in series from panels to charge controller, 30a ANL fuse between panels and cc, 100a fuse ordered for "future Morningstar 300w inverter"

Any problems anyone see with my current setup? All info/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Hello Wind and Sun folks, new guy here with my info and prob lots of questions.

You are way over fused on the inverter and the future inverter.

150 W / 12v = 12.5A
    300w / 12V = 25A

Not knowing the specs of those panels or the batteries, assuming your batteries have a 220Ahr rating, I estimate you are a bit low panel wise (~ 11 A / 220A = 5%). That is at the lowest recommended for adequate sharging, better to be closer to 10%.

hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Rikerz
    Re: Hello Wind and Sun folks, new guy here with my info and prob lots of questions.

As for fusing the inverter to battery, that is what I had and will be changing that to a Morningstar 300w inverter with a 100a fuse (as per Morningstar instructions) in about a month. Will be adding 2 more panel (most that charge controller will handle) in the real near future. And I mistyped in orginal post, 50a is for the 1 12v battery that I have right now. The 2 Exide batteries were bought today and not installed yet. I jumped the gun on info. Thanks for the info westbranch!
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

The 100 amp fuse Morningstar calls for (I have two of those inverters and love them) is to handle the Max temporary surge of starting small motors etc. If you have no big surge loads, you can definitely use a smaller fuse. I used a 30 amp fuse on one of mine for a few years with no problems, just better protection.
  • Rikerz

I haven't bought the Morningstar inverter yet, anything else around that price range that is 12/24v compatable? I hear the Morning star is really good but dont want to be limited to 12V.
  • westbranch

Just so you know, the fuses are meant to protect the wire from getting so hot that it starts a fire, not the electronics the wire is supplying. So, it is better to use a slightly larger wire and base the fuse, or circuit breaker , on the loads you want to handle.

hth

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • Rikerz

You know, I never thought of it that way (protecting the wire) as I have always thought of fusing/breakers protects the equipment. Is the 30a fuse from the solar panels correct?
    westbranch wrote: »
    Just so you know, the fuses are meant to protect the wire from getting so hot that it starts a fire, not the electronics the wire is supplying. So, it is better to use a slightly larger wire and base the fuse, or circuit breaker , on the loads you want to handle.

hth
  • westbranch

I don't know for certain , you will need to look up the panels specs
    (there are 2 diff. 100W panels https://www.renogy-store.com/solar-panels-s/1829.htmhttps://www.renogy-store.com/solar-panels-s/1829.htm)
    and they will tell you the recommended size , my 120W panels required a 15 amp fuse.

If you only have 2 panels combining before your Charge controller (CC) you do not need a fuse for backfeed protection (when a panel is damaged or?), for 3 or more panels you DO need fuse protection, one for each panels + (pos) lead.

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Rikerz wrote: »
    My initial setup goal: To learn all I can, not trying to "live off the grid" anytime soon

Welcome to the forum,

One of the first things you must have learned (in your lurking here) is that you will pay dearly to 'learn all you can' by building a system. Battery based systems are expensive and rarely make economic sense when the grid is available.

I don't know whether or not you are required to follow electrical codes for house wiring in your jurisdiction, but even if you are not required, it is a good idea follow them for two reasons: safety and insurance. Your homeowners insurance company may decline your claims if the house is not wired to code. As for the safety aspects of the code, we can give you lots of advice... but where to begin? grounding, conduit, lightning arresters, disconnects, etc. What are your intentions in this regard?

One other consideration... where is this all going?... it is very expensive to upgrade a solar energy system, surprisingly few of the components in the original system will be usable in the upgraded system. If you know where you are going with the system, there are some things you can do at the beginning to make the upgrade go smoother.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

adding to what vtmaps said it is important to know what the function of the system is and at what point to scrap one to do a better system. the old stuff may still function well for its intended loads and can be left in place or a new system can be utilized and incorporate the original loads too. this depends on the capabilities of the original system and newer system's needs as to its viability into a larger one. often times one can incorporate better components into the smaller system from the start if the larger system would call for it and make the transition easier. i'm being vague here on this as each circumstance has to be weighed and economics is usually a big factor in it.

i'm going to emphasize what westbranch said about individual fuses or breakers for each pv, if more than 2 in parallel are used, to be vital as this is a case that it would be protecting the pvs too as pvs can be overloaded in reverse in some cases. this can be a short within the pv itself or it can be that you accidentally wire a pv in reverse. this applies to individual pvs paralleled as well as series strings in parallel. it must be the proper value too as you can't throw any old fuse or breaker in there.
  • Rikerz

Thanks folks for all your input. To answer a few questions: Where am I going with this, right now to just run some led lights and maybe a dc well pump. Actually I dont have "real plans" for this system at this time, I am just doing it to get some hands on experience with solar. I do have one update, I found a really good price on a Xantrex 600w True Sine Wave inverter, so that will be added to my system. This system is about 1 week old, so I am still putting it together and learning from you fine folks in the process. Also, this is strickly off-grid.
  • westbranch

First Rule of Solar ( by Icarus) Loads will grow over time!

I'm helping a friend setup his OG 12v Cabin system. Finally got the PV's connected to an old MX60 (on loan till the MN-Kid hits the streets) and to the batteries (2x GC2's). We had previously trenched and buried a 10-3 Underground cable, in conduit etc Connected the power cable to the inverter. Voila, power was flowing...

As soon as the first light was turned on Jim started a long list of where he wanted MORE lights and plugs to go! Be Forewarned.

• Rikerz

I can see this one day but not now in my budget.
    westbranch wrote: »
    First Rule of Solar ( by Icarus) Loads will grow over time!

I'm helping a friend setup his OG 12v Cabin system. Finally got the PV's connected to an old MX60 (on loan till the MN-Kid hits the streets) and to the batteries (2x GC2's). We had previously trenched and buried a 10-3 Underground cable, in conduit etc Connected the power cable to the inverter. Voila, power was flowing...

As soon as the first light was turned on Jim started a long list of where he wanted MORE lights and plugs to go! Be Forewarned.