XW6048 external contactor controlled by the Auxiliary Output

fca1
fca1 Solar Expert Posts: 124 ✭✭
Not finding a "internal" solution to disconnect the grid from the XW6048 i will probably go to a external contactor that will be triged by the Aux relay on the XW6048.
The specs for the AUX output state this "Auxiliary Relay Output 12 VDC, maximum 250 mA DC"

Where can i find a ~30amp at 230V AC that can be triggered by this aux relay 12VDC 250mA ?

Any suggestions on how to achieve this ?

regards

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: XW6048 external contactor controlled by the Auxiliary Output
    fca1 wrote: »
    Not finding a "internal" solution to disconnect the grid from the XW6048 i will probably go to a external contactor that will be triged by the Aux relay on the XW6048.
    The specs for the AUX output state this "Auxiliary Relay Output 12 VDC, maximum 250 mA DC"

Where can i find a ~30amp at 230V AC that can be triggered by this aux relay 12VDC 250mA ?

Any suggestions on how to achieve this ?

regards
    You'll probably have to use two relays Use one small one to pull in a contactor is how I'd do it. Redundant, yeah, is what it is.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭

It shouldn't be a problem to find a 30A relay, such as this one, but it gets progressively difficult if you want to go above 30A.
  • fca1
    fca1 Solar Expert Posts: 124 ✭✭

Found this one
    http://www.africa.hager.com/nf/products/energy-distribution/power-control-and-signaling/power-interface-and-programming/modular-contactors/erl240s/61666.htm

In the specs they set 5w consumption .. Xw6048 says max 250ma at 12v 3w...

Maybe will buy it and try it have to find 3w fuse to get it on middle ..
  • NorthGuy
    fca1 wrote: »
    Found this one
    http://www.africa.hager.com/nf/products/energy-distribution/power-control-and-signaling/power-interface-and-programming/modular-contactors/erl240s/61666.htm

In the specs they set 5w consumption .. Xw6048 says max 250ma at 12v 3w...

Maybe will buy it and try it have to find 3w fuse to get it on middle ..

5W is 417mA. Xantrex doesn't have enough power. Like Bill said, you will need an intermediary relay which you power from Xantrex, then the intermediary relay energizes your relay using some power from your batteries or other source.

I'm confindent that you can find a relay that can do it. The one I posted is only 150mA or so. It is only 30A, but Xantrex only can produce 25A anyway. If you protect the relay with circuit breaker should work fine.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Look for something solid state. For instance we use a 25 or a 75 amp 3 phase solid state relay that draws just a couple milliamps. Look for a 3 phase triac by Teledyne

Ryan
  • NorthGuy
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    Look for something solid state. For instance we use a 25 or a 75 amp 3 phase solid state relay that draws just a couple milliamps. Look for a 3 phase triac by Teledyne

Even though triac-based relay only requires milliamps to switch, it causes a voltage drop in the switched circuit. With 230V, a typical 1V drop doesn't sound like much, but, at 30A, this will dissipate 30W or so (and consequently will require a big heatsink).

Mechanical relay may require more to switch (2-3W in this case), but it doesn't affect the circuit being switched. So, overall, it'll save quite a bit of energy.