Introduction and a question

RelicHunter
RelicHunter Registered Users Posts: 1
Hey guys, stumbled across this forum as I am gaining an interest in solar power. It looks as though I have a lot of reading to do, but I also want to streamline my reading and wondering if anyone has specific links for me. Here goes:

I am located in Georgia and am in the business of recycling electronics, mainly computer stuff, and get a lot of UPS systems. My initial research tells me there is a way I can re-purpose a good UPS system that has a built-in inverter, use a solar panel, and with some modifications use it for small remote projects where I need power. As I like to recycle items, I think this would be a good project for me to try out. I'm about to hit the search area on the forum to find out specific details on how to build one using parts I already have, and any direction would be appreciated.

On a side note, I have a MASSIVE UPS system that I got (too big for my use), but was wondering if the experts here could tell me if it would be a candidate for someone looking for a big system. It is a Best Unity 1 UT360 system (inverter) and a Intrapack battery cabinet with 18 batteries and 350a breaker. The third cabinet is a control switch built by CSII (250v, 3ph). All 3 cabinets combined weigh 4k-5k lbs.

Thanks guys (and gals). I look forward to digging into this site and getting to know some new people.

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Re: Introduction and a question

Technically, an off-grid solar system is a big UPS with solar panels and charge controller attached to charge batteries, so your task should not be hard.

Although, the UPS system is designed to keep batteries charged 24/7, while solar system is designed to cycle them overnight. Therefore, the battery designed for UPS system may bot fare well in solar.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

some have used commercial ups for solar with the better quality sine wave output types. keep in mind a ups is not meant for constant full power duty for long time periods. they are usually rated in minutes of operation times.

the one you site is a specialized ups with few people in need of such a ups. if any are interested in the specs i found this,
    http://unitedpowerandbattery.com/documents/best/unity1 three.pdf
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    It is a Best Unity 1 UT360 system (inverter) and a Intrapack battery cabinet with 18 batteries and 350a breaker.

Welcome to the forum,

As NorthGuy mentioned, UPS batteries are not designed to cycle very often. Also, because they seldom cycle it is OK to create battery banks with multiple parallel strings. A good RE battery bank will have high cycle-life, deep cycle batteries, and will have only one string of cells.

What is the battery bank voltage of the UPS? Is it a standard voltage that you can find a charge controller for?

The UPS assumes that there are no other loads or charging sources connected to the battery. The UPS inverter may not be designed to work at the high voltages that a RE battery sees while it is being charged.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i