Options
2»

Comments

• pctech101
    pctech101 Registered Users Posts: 11
    Options
    Re: What do I need to power my project? 12V DC 2A draw + 24V .5A draw
    jcheil wrote: »
    I have a feeling you are going to let the magic blue smoke out of your equipment...
    I'm not a point to test yet so a regulator is the least of my "current " worries. I will post more info when I have it. Over at the ubiquiti forums they are safely running these devices at 12 v.
    Once I have some facts to post or other questions I will write again. Thanks for yalls input.
  • kenny_hendrick
    kenny_hendrick Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options

I would just like to comment on this post because I have been doing something apparently wrong for years....but it's been working just fine for years.

We have been running our computer repair store and it pretty much runs virtually all our servers and security equipment and more 24/7.

No fuses.

Very few inverters (and if it says 12v on the device I connect it directly to the batteries).

I will say one more thing that has worked for me...diversification of battery banks.

By allocating certain banks of batteries for certain projects has allowed me to have more control over the high-draw items and consolidate the low-draw items (any inverters are considered a high-draw item).

P.S. I'm not a stark advocate for inverters....just another part that could go bad and like the previous poster mentioned...it seems ludicrous to drag electricity from 12v to 110v and back down to 12v.

As for stability...I don't know but until something actually burns up .....
    pctech101 wrote: »
    I'm not a point to test yet so a regulator is the least of my "current " worries. I will post more info when I have it. Over at the ubiquiti forums they are safely running these devices at 12 v.
    Once I have some facts to post or other questions I will write again. Thanks for yalls input.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

Lead acid battery banks can output 100's to 1,000's of amps into dead short... Until you have a short circuit, you will not really know what can happen in terms of welding cables together, burning insulation, dropping red hot copper onto flammable floors and shelves, etc.

This Youtube video is an example of an breaker for US house wiring switching switching off relatively high DC voltage (~290 Vmp array @ 12 amps)... and you can see that it breaks out in fire

This video (2nd half) shows what 300 amps at 12 volts can do to a nail/screw/bolt in a short circuit:

If you are testing equipment--You can probably disconnect/cut a shorted connection. If you are letting the equipment run unattended--It would really be a good idea to put fuses/breakers on those distribution cables where you have "relatively" large batteries and relatively small gauge cables.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

You don't need fuses. You don't need circuit breakers. You don't need grounding.

Until something goes wrong.