What is a good battery charger for my off grid system?

nobody928
nobody928 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
I am shopping online for battery chargers. I have an off grid system of 4 agm 105 amp hour batteries. What type of charger should I get? I am going to be using a 1400 watt champion generator.

How does the iota battery charger work? I dont see any typical aligator style clips so im not sure how it functions. Does anyone use this style charger? What are other good options?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: What is a good battery charger for my off grid system?

I regret to say there are no 'ideal' stand-alone battery chargers for RE systems. Every one is some compromise, usually on charge Voltage set points (not adjustable or not by much).

As such chargers like the Iota are the best you can do, and would be adequate for when solar isn't available. It does have the multi-stage charging regime, and you can adjust it somewhat. I see people recommending the version with the separate IQ4 module so you can use/not use it as befits the situation. Not perfect, but over-all the Iota is the best choice from what I've seen.

Standard automotive chargers would be good for Bulk charging only, which is enough to save batteries from a fate of premature sulphation. I have had bad experience with so-called 'smart' chargers myself, and would avoid them. Perhaps someone else has a better model they use?

Any charger can (and should be) 'hard wired'. Don't trust alligator clips. Put a fuse on the output if it hasn't got one. Add a switch if you fear the circuitry may 'bleed off' power from the batteries when not in use.

It would be nice if some reputable company like MidNite made a plug-in charger with all the programability of the Classic. :D
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Everyone has opinions, but for a stand alone charger, I feel they are the best deal.

You can adjust the voltage (by opening it and adjusting a small pot) and IQ charging option (get the add-on one, not the built-in one) is not half bad at regulating the 3 stange charging process. Not anywhere as good as built-in inverter-chargers, but for stand-alone chargers pretty good.

They have a crappy power factor and a high inrush (like many others) so if you have the 1400/1800 champion (as I do), you will likely have issues getting it the DLS-55(amp) model to run. You will have to get the model just below it.

And you didn't state what battery voltage/configuration you were using so I assumed 12v, 4 batteries in parallel.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

I use NOCO brand of chargers for several task, however they are not very big. I assume you are using these as 105 X 4 for a 420 AH bank. The G2600 is a 26 amp charger and will do both 12V and 24V. I use the smaller ones (G7200 & G1100] mostly for battery tenders and they have work flawlessly in that capacity. They have dragged a couple batteries back from the brink.

http://www.geniuschargers.com/G26000/specs
    The G26000 is a smart, 15 Step, fully automatic switch-mode battery charger and maintainer. The G26000 restores batteries to their original capacity, recovers slightly sulfated batteries, charges batteries in cold climates, rescues drained batteries, and provides maintenance charging to increase battery life. A powerful battery charger with specialized charging modes for recovering severely drained batteries, that will not accept a normal charge and the ability to perform an equalization charge. The G26000 comes equipped with a remote temperature probe for optimized charging performance. Suitable for most 12V and 24V battery capacities from 25-500Ah, such as Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Snowmobiles, Jet Skis, Cars, RVs, Boats and Trucks.

G26000 TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Input Voltage AC 110-120 VAC, 50-60Hz
    Working Voltage AC 85-130 VAC, 50-60Hz
    Input Current 10000mA RMS Max
    Efficiency 85% Approx.
    Power 500W Max
    Charging Voltage 14.4/28.8V, 14.7/29.4V (Cold/AGM),
    13.6V (Supply),
    13.6V (Equalization),
    16.5V (Calcium),
    14.4V (Silent Night)
    16.5V (Boost),