Arizona Public Service involved in political scandal to stop rooftop solar

Options
Shadowcatcher
Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
Arizona Public Service involved in political scandal to stop rooftop solar

Posted on DailyKos

by BaileyAFollow

After denying involvement for months, Arizona Public Service (APS) has recently admitted to funding non-profit organizations created to stop rooftop solar. As reported last Monday in The Arizona Republic, the company “sent cash to two non-profit groups that support the utility’s goal to make solar customers pay higher bills.”

The utility has been lying publicly about funding the anti-rooftop solar organizations because it wanted to give the impression that these organizations were developed and operating through grassroots-level efforts. APS lied to shareholders, ratepayers, and the general public to maintain this illusion.

One of these organizations, 60 Plus, works with consultant Sean Noble, who was also a political consultant for the Koch brothers in their fight against the democratic party and the 2012 Obama campaign. APS has admitted to contracting Noble. Noble has been under investigation for campaign money laundering in CA.

After denying involvement for months, Arizona Public Service (APS) has recently admitted to funding non-profit organizations created to stop rooftop solar. As reported last Monday in The Arizona Republic, the company “sent cash to two non-profit groups that support the utility’s goal to make solar customers pay higher bills.”

The utility has been lying publicly about funding the anti-rooftop solar organizations because it wanted to give the impression that these organizations were developed and operating through grassroots-level efforts. APS lied to shareholders, ratepayers, and the general public to maintain this illusion.

One of these organizations, 60 Plus, works with consultant Sean Noble, who was also a political consultant for the Koch brothers in their fight against the democratic party and the 2012 Obama campaign. APS has admitted to contracting Noble. Noble has been under investigation for campaign money laundering in CA.

Just prior to this news, The Arizona Republic published a piece about a plan that was pitched to APS four years ago by Arizona’s top lobbying firm that proposed the launching of a $4.3 million campaign aimed at manufacturing controversies and making non-profits appear as grassroots efforts. The purpose of this plan was to overhaul the Arizona Corporation Commission and influence voters’ decisions when reelecting regulators.

Even though APS claims to have dismissed the plan, one of the two people that pitched the plan was hired by the utility as their top lobbyist, and the tactics described in the report, titled “The Institute for Energy Policy” are strikingly similar to those currently being used to stop the rooftop solar industry. The plan’s co-author also does work for APS.

Apparently, APS is not the only utility involving itself in deceptive practices aimed at killing the rooftop solar industry. At the national level, the utility trade organization Edison Electric Institute (EEI) secretly provided leads to local media on stories that support APS’s cause and attack a local rooftop solar company. EEI’s involvement and its report Disruptive Challenges is evidence that utilities across the country are using similar tactics to protect their monopolies and eliminate rooftop solar.

APS has lied continuously; which other utilities are doing the same?

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Arizona Public Service involved in political scandal to stop rooftop solar

Posted on DailyKos

by BaileyAFollow

and now posted on Wind-Sun.com
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Posted on DailyKos

by BaileyAFollow

and now posted on Wind-Sun.com

Your point being?

Personally I would like to see some irrefutably factual evidence.

We may have to kick this one around a bit due to its controversial nature.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Your point being?

Personally I would like to see some irrefutably factual evidence.

We may have to kick this one around a bit due to its controversial nature.
    It's been re-posted as fact, can you and the sponsors stand behind it as 100 % factual ?? Do you know BrianAFellow ??
  • alternety
    alternety Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    I just signed up to ask a question. But this thread caught my attention. My apologizes if this is not appropriate.

I believe what is bothering you about vast hidden money to control politicians. Way more common that people think. For more information about this sort of thing, research the Koch brothers (- 1). Check the massive expensive TV advertising and on-site drones trying to make people decide they just must confiscate all firearms. EVERY where. I watched one of the gun messes in Washington. People who had no idea what they were giving their by signatures for (no idea of the actual document, zero knowledge of guns). I watched three women sign in a petition (which has the force of law)  in front of the supermarket; I believe from watching closely, just because he was cute. They had no idea whatsoever what they were signing up to. Or why.

Many of the crazy rich have decided that only they have the  right to destroy whatever they do not like. Maybe  (a complete swag) of 100 super rich people feel they can simply vastly distort the democratic processes. And massively present false and garbled information.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    We are not a gun forum... I personally enjoy shooting for fun, but this is a Solar Support forum hosted by an Arizona based solar wholesaler/retailer--And we have posters/readers from around the world. Since laws and customs in other countries can be "an issue"--I try to keep the weapons/prepping thing from getting too far out of hand.

The point of government seems to be the aggregation of power (money is a part of that--But not all--In my humble opinion).

I am not too excited to take on this subject as a standalone thread. There is not much we can do here (in the forum)--I suggest we do what we do best--A solar/power/off grid living source of practical information and advice.

-Bill "moderator" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset