Installing Fronius Plus IG V 3.0 Uni

Options
quique
quique Solar Expert Posts: 259 ✭✭
Hi guys...haven't posted in a while.

I got my hands on a Fronius IGV Plus 3.0. I'm looking at the specs and revisiting my SEI course.

Here are the specs:

Attachment not found.

According to these specs I need 260Volts to get the inverter working.

This means I need 15 panels if they are of 18v Vmp, correct? 260/18.

Comments

• SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Installing Fronius Plus IG V 3.0 Uni

I would go to the Fronius site and put your panel information in to there string configuration tool. With high and low temperatures, it will then give you string options based on inverter and panel specs.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • quique
    Options

But is the idea correct?
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would look to go a fair amount higher on the input voltage, you are just meeting the minimums for start up. What panels are you intending to use?
  • quique
    Options

These are panels that were purchased here in Honduras, they have the following specs which is why I used the numbers I did:

TEM NO MS-210W
    MONO or POLY Mono
    Maximum power (Wp) 210W
    Maximum power voltage (V) 18V
    Maximum power current (A) 11.7A
    Open circuit voltage (V) 21.5V
    Short circuit current (A) 12.3A
    Number of cells (Pcs) 60
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You really need to use the fronius string chart to get the correct amount of panels you can use. You can only use 1 string of those panels on that inverter as using 2 strings would be too many amps. You need the panel brand name and model number to use the fronius string chart. I think you probably need more than 15 panels. solarvic
  • quique
    Options

One string series of 14 panels would be 14 panels x 18V which would be 252V...oh ok, so i would need at least 16, right?

As for current, max usable current is 14amps, so I would get 11.7a, so why would that be a problem?

Why would 1 string of 16 panels not work?
  • quique
    Options

Also, I want to try and use these panels I already have before going and buying new ones. I tested their voltage yesterday and they are about 48-50V Voc. I haven't been able to test the Isc because I just found out my tester is no good for that :(

So I will measure these later today. I believe the specs were 50V and 1.5A. So with 6 of these panels I would have 300V which should be enough to get the Fronius up and running, right? I mean until I get new panels :)

I need a disconnect from the string to the Fronius, but do I need a disconnect from the fronius to the mains panel?
    According to this there is a DC Disconnect in the inverter. Should I add an additional disconnect outside the inverter via a small DC breaker box?

Attachment not found.

I just remembered there IS always an AC Disconnect as well before the mains panel.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don,t know what is so hard about looking at the fronius string chart. If you did ,you would know the answer to your question about how many panels you need. Without the brand name, model and coldest, warmest temperature no one could give you a positive answer. I have a 3.0 and a 3.8 plus inverter. I used the string chart and it was accurate. solarvic
  • quique
    Options

Well if you read my last question, I'm actually asking for confirmation of my ideas.
  • SkiDoo55
    Options

Everyone is just telling you that if you fo to the Fronius site and use there sting configuration tool, by selecting your panel by model that you want to use , inverter model and your minimum temperature and maximum temperature it will give your answer as to your question, as to how many of your selected panels will be required to work with your inverter. No one is not trying not to answer your question, it's just the best answer is to use the string configuration tool. Your 48-50 VDC /VOC panels will be lower in voltage when trying to produce power, approximately 20% lower..

Here is link to String Tool; http://www.fronius.com/froniusdownload/tool.html
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • quique
    Options

Yes but the configuration tool requires solar panel brand, these panels I have don't have a brand. So I'm trying to determine the best course of action based on thinking instead of using a tool that has the logic locked inside.
  • SkiDoo55
    Options

Panels you have will probably be about 40 Vmp. You would need @ 6.5 panels. If you have 7 or 8 panels would be better in a series string.

Depending on distance of inverter from the main panel and local codes you may not need an AC disconnect. Inverter has AC breakers and you would have a back-feed breaker in the main that will disconnect. Some areas still require them, check with local inspectors.