Steven Lake
Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago116.html

Just stumbled onto this and thought you guys might find it interesting. :D

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Back Wood Home - Off Grid Solar Article

ok rough guide, but not 100% accurate. need to start with loads and then that determines battery capacity minimum per day. gets more complicated from there too.

also, pvs are not going to recharge with 100% efficiency and under normal conditions it won't achieve the wattage ratings pvs have for stc. this means if you've drained 1kw from a 2kw battery bank that you will need more than 200w in pv for 5hrs.

really, if it were all that simple would there be thread after thread on the aspects of solar? there's all kinds of what ifs and aw craps involved.
  • Steven Lake
    Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭

Very true. However, if it gets them on the road to solar, hey, I'm all for it. I mean, heck, it took articles like that to get me moving, and now look at what I'm doing. The only thing I don't like about solar is that it's so addictive. lol. :P
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

there must be a 12 step program for solar in the works, who's addddddictttted?? Not me....??

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »
    there must be a 12 step program for solar in the works, who's addddddictttted?? Not me....??

The first step is admitting the addiction! :D
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

I can quit anytime I want!!!

I just don't want to right now!!!
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    H2SO4_guy wrote: »
    I can quit anytime I want!!!

I just don't want to right now!!!

i'll agree with that as it all depends on the motivations and incentives to quit.