New MorningStar TS-45 rts..

Options
Thomas
Thomas Solar Expert Posts: 291
My new charger is shipped.
I have 2 temp probes from my solar hot water endeavors.
1. ntc
1. ptc
will either of these work in the TS-45?
the old xantrex temp sensor I have is 4 wire to a phone-jack.
[now useless unless I put it on my diversion controller.]
thanks
Always troubleshoot with adequate sunlight.  Hi Ho Hi Ho
2.3kW [10] Enecsys SMI-240-60 micro inverters

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,469 admin
    Options
    Re: New MorningStar TS-45 rts..

Don't know... If you wanted to experiment--You would expect the controller to move -5mV per C per Cell as the temperature increases...

Try some ice water (0C) and some warm water (30C)--And see what happens to your 12 volt battery charging set point:

-0.005 volts * 30C difference * 6 cells (for 12 volt battery) = -0.9 volts for 30C increase in probe temperature

Try each and find out which one gets you closest to the desired compensation (if either one works).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Thomas
    Options

Thanks for the reply. There is a gross-er test yet for it I think. I know that for my solar hot water controller only a PTP sensor will work for the Array Temp detrminant, and will not work where there a ntc probe indicates tank temps. I think that the TS-45 will work with only one kind also. After that, then maybe functional testing details!
    The ptc version ,upon research is simply intended for higher temperatures, like CPVC piping vs. reg PVC. The ntc sensor is the standard applicable up to normal weather. I think Morningstar Corp. would have used a ntc for their indoor mount batt. sensor and a company like Outback may be the high temp rugged ptc.
    If the sensor even works will there be any indication/change? With the solar hot water heater the readings are just grossly off by 50'F or 212'F. I will be connecting to a PC with MS View if my HP 6515b has com port usb, otherwise I gotta get a usb com port driver I think. Does the software give you a specific at bat temp?

• Thomas
    Options

---correction 6715b HP w/ no wwlan.----sorry.