Considering this panel - is it a good one?

This panel is offered at $0.50 per watt. http://sunelec.com/specs/sharp/ND-250HAC_11-15-12.pdf

Is there anything to watch out for with this panel? Any known issues or caveats?

Of course i need to do my due diligence. There is no mention of seconds, blemish's etc.

They would be for a large battery system off grid. Any reasons NOT to buy these?

Comments

• bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Re: Considering this panel - is it a good one?

For international customers only (the very last thing mentioned in that advertisement, should have been the first).
    Lake_Man wrote: »
    This panel is offered at $0.50 per watt. http://sunelec.com/specs/sharp/ND-250HAC_11-15-12.pdf

Is there anything to watch out for with this panel? Any known issues or caveats?

Of course i need to do my due diligence. There is no mention of seconds, blemish's etc.

They would be for a large battery system off grid. Any reasons NOT to buy these?
  • Lake_Man
    Lake_Man Solar Expert Posts: 27

I'm international .... that is not an issue for me. Just wondering if anyone has used this particular panel. The price seems to be very good and worth taking a container load of. I dont need them right now so they will sit for a while but at the price.....why not?

So, is there anything to take note of with these that anyone can think of? Caveat emptor and all that.
  • bmet

Just that you should ensure the product is actually in stock, and not waiting on a bankruptcy court to award ownership. The wheeling and dealing that goes on for these 'great' deals often includes 'what-ifs' and guesswork. Ask Mr. Kimball if he truly has these containers on retainer. He does respond personally to questions about his advertised events.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds too good to be true - - - - red flag.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I can tell you that Sharp panels are top quality.

I can also tell you that particular retailer does not have the same rating.

Caveat emptor indeed.
  • Lake_Man
    Lake_Man Solar Expert Posts: 27

OK then, thanks for the heads up.

So if you were me and wanted to proceed what sorts of things would you do?

* Phone this seller to make sure goods are in stock and not some wild adventure...
    * Ask for assurances that the stock is in good shape and not faulty in anyway - for what that's worth
    * Ask to see photos of one of the ACTUAL panels
    * Ask why its INTERNATIONAL buyers only..... this one has me a bit concerned. Why international only? Could this be to make sure there is no US based litigation over this deal when it goes south perhaps?

as the saying goes, "if it sounds to good to be true it generally is"

However, if for some reason this turned out to be a genuine offer, then its a great price. I know this seller has a checkered history but i also know a lot of people have received decent panels ........eventually.

What to do, what to do......
  • WNY Dave
    WNY Dave Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭

I have already have 2 x 230Watt sharp panels and I just got 4 x SHARP 255Watt from SunElectronics, I talked and worked with Louis. They were very helpful, and panels arrived last week (approx. a week in shipping with tracking info provide from FL to NY.) in perfect condition. Packaged very well. However, I did order and get "B" grade ones a bit cheaper, and the only blemish were a few scratches on the cover. They all tested at least per the rated Spec label or a bit higher. I wasn't worried about the blemishes.

Maybe they are not UL or something listed for USA use, maybe that's why they are for international users? Not sure.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Ask about the fact that they should have MC4 connector, needed for use where UL approval is needed for the system.
    They may be NOS and have plain junction boxes on the panels, doubt it, just a wild guess.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • bmet
    WNY Dave wrote: »
    I have already have 2 x 230Watt sharp panels and I just got 4 x SHARP 255Watt from SunElectronics, I talked and worked with Louis. They were very helpful, and panels arrived last week (approx. a week in shipping with tracking info provide from FL to NY.) in perfect condition. Packaged very well. However, I did order and get "B" grade ones a bit cheaper, and the only blemish were a few scratches on the cover. They all tested at least per the rated Spec label or a bit higher. I wasn't worried about the blemishes.

Maybe they are not UL or something listed for USA use, maybe that's why they are for international users? Not sure.

While I participated in this thread, posting the name of that other company is (IMHO) borderline disrespectful to the host of this forum.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    bmet wrote: »
    While I participated in this thread, posting the name of that other company is (IMHO) borderline disrespectful to the host of this forum.

We're not going to worry about it on an inquiry basis as it is essential to the nature of the question.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

As Marc/Cariboocoot said--Random links to other sites/competitors to Northern Arizona Wind & Sun is fine.

One thing we are trying to avoid is announcing great deals/sales--Cheapest $$$/Watt type things. Long ago, when I started posting here, we used to get a fair amount of that sort of traffic--And from what I saw then, the quantities were limited, sometimes the vendors were sketchy, parts were from bankrupsties/"B" grade product and such without warranties/support, etc.

We do allow posters to list personal equipment for sale--if they wish. Recommend members to conduct sales by private message/email. And we also do not allow organization of group buys via posts/threads (too hard to manage/address any issues that may arise).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset