Battery monitor?

Options
verdigo
verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
What all do I need to install a battery monitor. Recommendations for the monitor?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Battery monitor?

A battery monitor, a shunt, and some wire. Plus the right numbers to program it with. :D

In addition to the ones NAWS sells http://www.solar-electric.com/metersmonitors.html the Victron is spoken highly of by forum members (I haven got a retail link for it though).
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Here is a link to Victron's website.

The Trimetric and the Victron units probably are a good representation of the low to higher end products. You should be happy with either.

From your signature--You have a MS Classic... That is a Midnite Classic I assume--If so, Midnite is "close" to releasing an integrated shunt plus software (for the Classic). If you can wait (months or less?), I would look really closely at that setup when released.

Outback also has an integrated Shunt System too...

Outback Power Flexnet-DC System Monitor

And Midnite has a simple "intelligent voltmeter" that some folks find very handy... It will warn you if your battery bank has not been recharged back over >~90% capacity in the last week or so... A handy meter it its own right (and costs less than a battery monitor too).

MidNite Solar MNBCMS Battery Capacity Meter

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • verdigo
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    From your signature--You have a MS Classic... That is a Midnite Classic I assume--If so, Midnite is "close" to releasing an integrated shunt plus software (for the Classic). If you can wait (months or less?), I would look really closely at that setup when released.

Outback also has an integrated Shunt System too...

Outback Power Flexnet-DC System Monitor

And Midnite has a simple "intelligent voltmeter" that some folks find very handy... It will warn you if your battery bank has not been recharged back over >~90% capacity in the last week or so... A handy meter it its own right (and costs less than a battery monitor too).

MidNite Solar MNBCMS Battery Capacity Meter

-Bill

Thanks Bill. I can wait.
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    Options

I chose the Victron because of simplicity and size
    http://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors
  • verdigo
    Options
    I chose the Victron because of simplicity and size
    http://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors

Thanks. Did some reading on the BMV602. Pretty nice! The web site also has a lot of good system wiring diagrams for noobs like myself.