4 Battery Box location/air circulation/type

Dolly Bee
Dolly Bee Solar Expert Posts: 30
Mornin Brain Trust

Would like to put battery trunk inside 200 sq ft cargo trailer.
Otherwise battery cables probably need to be 3' & 4' long. :-(

Room is not completely airtight, but pretty snug. Is for summer set up only.

Understand battery off gas and the need for air circulation.

If battery box is inside trailer, would have to drill holes in the floor - 1 for air in and 1 for air out.
However, that means the gas has to go down to get out. Is that a problem - or would a small fan be needed.?

During the day - I think no problem as box can be open - a 4' door near the box will be open as well as a roof vent also near box location.
2 people working inside.
At night - trailer closed up - but 5 dogs and 2 cats will be sleeping inside about 20' from battery box.

Does it matter if battery box is heavy duty plastic or made of plywood ??
Plywood lets me make it smaller, trunk is 37x21x20 and much lighter in weight. Trying to keep weight down as trailer will be moved twice a year.

Thanx

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: 4 Battery Box location/air circulation/type

Air isn't going to move very well with the inlet and outlet holes in the same location: you'd need a fan.

Also, 3-4 feet of battery cable to get them outside shouldn't be a problem if the cables are large enough. 4/0 can carry 300 Amps @ 12 Volts for 10 feet before the V-drop gets serious.

I'd put them outside, if possible (assuming we're talking FLA's here, not AGM's).
  • Dolly Bee

Thought so. (fan) need high and low for air flow for hot/cool. didn't know about gases.

No wire gauge in front of me. Will 4/0 wire fit in small holes in Midnight Classic Lite for batteries ??

Yes, FLA's.

Can put them outside.

No matter what - will have to drill holes in the wood floor for cables - don't really want to drill holes in metal sides for cables.

4 - Trojan T105 Batteries / 6 - 240 watt panels / Midnight Classic 150 / 1 or 2 generators can also travel = 1 project.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Dolly Bee wrote: »
    No wire gauge in front of me. Will 4/0 wire fit in small holes in Midnight Classic Lite for batteries ??

4/0 is for the cables between battery and inverter. You shouldn't need such heavy cable between Classic and battery. I think the classic can handle #4 gauge. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Dolly Bee

Many Thanks

Appreciate the info.