Help needed with Xantrex System (aka now Schneider)

Options
R Whitt
R Whitt Registered Users Posts: 5
I have a Zantrex MPPT80-600 Charge controller a XW6048 inverter with a SCP this system is offgrid with a 1110ah 48v battery bank and a 4800 watt array. My system was commisioned 10/12/12 and all was well for seven months now suddenly the charge controller is resetting its self ie; the warning light flashes the controller shuts down then powers back up , no fault or warning is logged,the daily harvest log is also reset to zero.When this happens if the controller is in float it comes back in bulk according to the SCP however the voltage is float voltage. This is happening so often the system is barely keeping the batteries charged. I have tried to contact Schneider/Xantrex by email and can get no responce I guess you have to be a large corporation to get anyones attention. Any ideas, anyone have a phone number for Xantrex customer service?? This equipment is very expensive compared to most brands out there and their customer service seems to be nonexistent. Thanks for reading

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Help needed with Zantrex System

R Watt,

I would suggest you call Schneider support directly. After that initial contact, you may be able to have further converstations/pass data to them via email. From what I remember, their telephone support has (historically) been much better than email.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    R Whitt wrote: »
    I have a Zantrex MPPT80-600 Charge controller a XW6048 inverter with a SCP this system is offgrid with a 1110ah 48v battery bank and a 4800 watt array. My system was commisioned 10/12/12 and all was well for seven months now suddenly the charge controller is resetting its self ie; the warning light flashes the controller shuts down then powers back up , no fault or warning is logged,the daily harvest log is also reset to zero.When this happens if the controller is in float it comes back in bulk according to the SCP however the voltage is float voltage. This is happening so often the system is barely keeping the batteries charged. I have tried to contact Schneider/Xantrex by email and can get no responce I guess you have to be a large corporation to get anyones attention. Any ideas, anyone have a phone number for Xantrex customer service?? This equipment is very expensive compared to most brands out there and their customer service seems to be nonexistent. Thanks for reading

I had no problems contacting Xantrex support by email. They usually respond very fast. You can call them too.

I would check all the contacts, cables, also external conditions, such as dirt, condensation. Other than that, the bast way is to go with Xantrex because it is still under warranty.
  • BB.
    Options

By the way, I should add welcome to the forum--And I am very sorry to hear about your problems.

We can try to help you debug your installation. Usually, the first thing to check for is bad wiring, bad/loose/dirty electrical connections, and shorted/open battery cells.

A Digital Multi Meter (DMM) and some Hydrometer readings would also be a help. Use the meter to look for cells/batteries that are "different" from the rest (too high of voltage, too low of voltage can indicate a failed cell). Looking for voltage drops across sections of cables and connections. Looking for Warm/Hot cable connections or even a "hot battery" (be very careful, you can easily burn yourself on hot connections, and you don't want to be wearing jewelry anywhere near your battery connections).

Also, if you have parallel battery strings, DC Current Clamp Meter (like this inexpensive one from Sears) can be a big help too.

Has your installer been any of any help?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • R Whitt
    Options

Thanks for the quick responses but a phone number is what I was asking for. I can not find one. I figured Xantrex would be the best route, I just can not contact them.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    R Whitt wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick responses but a phone number is what I was asking for. I can not find one. I figured Xantrex would be the best route, I just can not contact them.

It is under "Warranty and Return Information" on one of the last pages of the manual.

For North America it's 866-519-1470
  • BB.
    Options

As usual, the Schneider website attempts to make information difficult to impossible to find/link too...

Anyway, "Xantrex" was split into (at least) two organizations, the small AC inverter/Fleet/etc. products (which kept the Xantrex name) and the "big solar" stuff that went under the Schneider name.

I would "play dumb" and call the Xantrex support number and let them give you the proper number (if they even have it... I know how big companies work :roll:):

http://www.xantrex.com/power-products-support/overview.aspx

Toll-Free
    (6:30am-4:30pm PST, Mon-Fri)
    1-800-670-0707

Outside US & Canada
    1-408-987-6030

Or, hopefully somebody here (and there are many) who have spoken with Schneider support can give you a number.

-Bill
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    As usual, the Schneider website attempts to make information difficult to impossible to find/link too...

Anyway, "Xantrex" was split into (at least) two organizations, the small AC inverter/Fleet/etc. products (which kept the Xantrex name) and the "big solar" stuff that went under the Schneider name.

I would "play dumb" and call the Xantrex support number and let them give you the proper number (if they even have it... I know how big companies work :roll:):

Or, hopefully somebody here (and there are many) who have spoken with Schneider support can give you a number.

-Bill
    Thats funny, they have a support page with it on it on their web site, maybe people don't know how to use a search engine. Google " Xantrex support phone number "

• BB.
    Options
    Re: Help needed with Xantrex System

Yea, the problem is that XW's are no longer "Xantrex"... If you know the Schneider support number, you can find it:

http://www.schneider-electric.us/support/index?page=content&country=US&lang=en&id=FA130457
    Where is support available for Xantrex inverters - Mobile Products ?
    Xantrex is in Vancouver, CN . General Tel: 604.422.8595 , or for Technical and customer support call toll free 800-670-0707
    (For Schneider Electric Renewable Energies Business , call 1-866-519-1470)

But, otherwise their "First support" page is a web form to fill out wait for them to contact you.

http://www2.schneider-electric.com/sites/corporate/en/support/contact/customer-care-contact.page

-Bill
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Options

The first thing they are likely going to tell you to do is to reset settings back to factory defaults. Both inverter and charge controllers. Might as well do that to get a head start. Reset requires placing in standby which will cut power. It may or may not fix the problem.

Their support number should be on the back of the manual. It should be up to date if the manual is Schneider branded or dual Schneider/Xantrex branded.

North America
    1 650 351 8237 Reg
    1 866 519 1470 Tollfree
    1 925 245 1022 Fax
    re.techsupport@schneider-electric.com
  • R Whitt
    Options

Thanks Bill for the info, I reached a real live person and they have already issued a RMA for the brick. I had already checked everything suggested here before asking for help. Have been troubleshooting it for about 10 days. It took about 2 minutes for them to decide I had a dud. thanks again for the help
  • BB.
    Options

Again, sorry to hear about the problems. Hopefully, this will fix the issues.

Take care, and let us know what you find out.

-Bill
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Options

It's good to see that the issue with the charge controller has already been taken care of. For other folks who need Schneider tech support, the people that take care of the RE equipment from Schneider are different group than the people who take care of the smaller mobile and marine products. Every time I have emailed Schneider tech support on RE equipment I have gotten an immediate automated response back that gives me my "Case Number", and usually within one business day I get a response from a Schneider tech support person.

With phone call, sometimes you may have to wait on hold for a bit. And you have the option of leaving a message to have them call you back. I have use that message leaving option before, twice, and they called me back within 2 hours both times. And once was for a discontinued product (SW Plus 5548 ) that I was looking at purchasing and inquiring about if Schneider would still honor the new product warranty on it. They even called me back for that to let me know that they would still honor the warranty on that inverter.

But the main thing is that you have the correct contact phone number and email address, which is in the back of the new manuals. If you have an older product, made before Schneider bought Xantrex, the numbers and/or email might not be correct in your manuals.
    --
    Chris