Couple of Gable Fans and Pool Pump on Solar?

Options
richwyoung
richwyoung Registered Users Posts: 1
Agree but what can a homeowner do for themselves? I would like to power two twelve volt gable fans and a 12v pool pump using solar panels only when the sun is out. Live in California. Any words of wisdom? Thanks. ...Rich

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Couple of Gable Fans and Pool Pump on Solar?

Welcome to the forum Rich.

Yes, you can power some of these items directly from solar--Many people take a smaller "12 volt" solar panel and power a couple of 12 volt (or even 24 volt) computer fans and move some air out.

The issue is that "small" 12 volt fans do not really move that much air. And what should be done is increasing attic ventilation (opening/adding screened air vents down low, and adding screened air vents up high).

One person here years ago added some solar attic fans and was very happy to see the attic cool down. A few years later, he noticed the fans had failed and the attic was still cool(er). Turns out the normal convection currents + more vent area was all he needed.

For the pool pump--What is it you are looking to do? A water pump/fountain for a fish pond--Or as a pool filter?

In general, pumps that move a lot of water against some sort of back pressure (up hill, through a filter, etc.) can consume a lot of power. A small 12 volt pump on a 20 watt panel is not going to be the same as a 1 hp motor for pool cleaning.

There are things you can do--For example you can get a smaller pool pump (many pumps are over sized for the application), get a two speed pump or a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) and run the pump on low for most of the time, and on high when cleaning/pool in use.

And powering the pumps. There is DC direct, DC + Battery bank, DC+Battery Bank+AC inverter, or Grid Tied (solar panels + GT Inverter). Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages.

And, in general, as you power needs go up, both your costs and available options go up too.

Can you tell us a bit more about your needs?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vicg1
    vicg1 Registered Users Posts: 8
    Options

I am using a solar pool pump setup now... a Lorentz. Moves as much water as my 1.25hp ac pump. Using 1000 watts of solar panels.

The pump is a 44vdc permanent magnet motor. It has no batteries so once the sun goes down the pump goes off. Batteries can be added to the system. This pump has no problem moving a 2" column of water 35 feet up to get to my solar hot water panels.
  • BB.
    Options

Vicg1,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on finding a pump that is working well for you... What model of Lorentz pump are you using? Any additional controllers needed?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vicg1
    Options

It's a lorentz ps600 cs-17-1. It came with a controller that also has options for connecting 48v in batteries to supplement during periods of low light. The controller has an indicator that shows pump speed, and it varies from 20-100% depending on amount of sun available... haven't used our ac pump in a year but it is plumbed in parallel with shut off valves so I can fall back on it if needed. Being in Florida I have not needed it!

The pump/panels were not cheap but I estimate the solar pump saves me $600 a year in electricity. IIRC the pump comes with a 10 year warranty.
  • BB.
    Options

Sounds like a great solution... What do you do to control algae? Has it been any problem?

-Bill
  • vicg1
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Sounds like a great solution... What do you do to control algae? Has it been any problem?

-Bill

Algae where? This is a pool pump, still flows thru a filter, and we use chlorine...
  • BB.
    Options

Some folks have looked at other methods of algae control--And others were concerned that pumping a limited number of hours per day may cause issues too.

Glad to hear it is working out well for you.

-Bill
  • vicg1
    Options

The solar panels are Sharps wired in series giving me 140vdc open circuit. Used a Midnight Solar dc breaker box as a disconnect.

A few poor quality pics of the controller and pump. The solar pump is the small black one.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • vicg1
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Some folks have looked at other methods of algae control--And others were concerned that pumping a limited number of hours per day may cause issues too.

Glad to hear it is working out well for you.

-Bill

I get 7 hours of full speed pumping in the winter and almost 12 in the summer! It actually works out well, like solar attic fans... the more sun, the more power you need and the more you get!
  • vicg1
    Options

I was thinking of adding batteries too, but there is no way I can justify the expense as there is no need for me to extend my filtering time.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I will certainly look at this solution for pool pumping at some point. We have plenty of sun and I like the sun up to sundown solution.
  • vicg1
    Options

One more bonus is that the pump is QUIET. Probably 1/3 the noise of the ac pump.
  • vicg1
    Options
    Its just incredible information. We too buying pool safety covers of best quality than others. What model of Lorentz pump are you using? Any additional controllers needed?

lorentz ps600 cs-17-1

You may not need one this large/strong. I chose it because my solar heater panels are about 35' up on my second story... my neighbor first had a solar pump installed and they used a cs-16 which is cheaper and just doesn't lift the column of water as high.

Also, my neighbor paid $7500 to have hers installed... this is where I got the idea to do it as well. I asked the installers if it would work with my situation and they said my roof was too high and they offered no solution. A little googling and I found that the cs-17 would do the job fine. The pumps are advertised as "German Engineered" but sadly like most of these things, they are built in China. I ordered one direct from China and had it for $1300 delivered via DHL. The panels were from another vendor, I used 4 Sharp 230w panels which cost about $1k. In addition I needed the wiring and the dc breaker box. A pretty straight forward job.

Another bonus is the pump is super quiet. But, while it is running, you would never know it wasn't my 1.25hp ac pump... just as much water gets moved. I can't stress how much I like it.
  • bereza
    bereza Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    Can some one share the link where to buy lorentz. PS600 cs 17-1
    I am in California. I only fiound supplier for $2200 For pump and controller
    From China only their brand now??!
    And Lorentz will it work on 3x250w or 3x300w panels?
    Anyone?