Newbie Question Here

danielb
danielb Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi, I'm just getting into wind power and I have question. Do different types of SMALL wind turbines handle different wind speeds? I mean, obviously, I know that different materials affect the quality of the turbine but is there a small personal use wind turbine that can take speeds of up to 70mph? Maybe more than that kindav... If you could list possibilities of companies or even products that fit that description that would be awesome!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Newbie Question Here

The only wind turbine that I had that generated "useful" power at 70 mph was on my old WWII vintage aircraft that used an external generator to charge the radio battery and run the navigation lights (did not even have a generator on the engine).

Backing up a moment--What is it that you are expecting from a Wind turbine in AmpHours @ XY volts (or Watt*Hours/kWH) per day. And what is the average wind speed at the height of tower you would be installing?

In general, small wind turbines mounted on towers less than 60' up (and less than 30' above trees/buildings/obstructions in the area) are not going to produce much in the way of useful power (unless the amount of power you need is very small too).

Just to be fair--I am, personally, not a big fan of small wind power. Here are some test results for small wind turbines from a few years ago that were tested on suggested (short) towers in open fields, in a fairly windy location in the Netherlands (many intended to be "city turbines" and/or roof top installs (recommend not to touch roof top installs with a 30 yard pole):
    BB. wrote: »
    One other interesting point to ponder... How far off most of the production numbers were (if I read the Dutch Specs. correctly).

Link to Article (in OP--Measured Yield).
    Link to translated Dutch specs. (yearly power estimates from Vendors):

- Energy Ball v100 (4,304 euro) : 73 kWh per year, corresponding to an average output of 8.3 watts
    Predicted by Vendor: Power: 0.5 kW with the supplier an estimated yield of 350 kWh / year
    • Prediction Accuracy: 21% of predicted output

- Ampair 600 (8,925 euro) : 245 kWh per year or an average output of 28 watts
    Predicted by Vendor: Power: 0.6 kW with a supplier by the estimated yield of 1,500 kWh / year
    • Prediction Accuracy: 16% of predicted output

- Turby (21,350 euro) : 247 kWh per year or an average output of 28.1 watts
    Power: 2 kW with the supplier an estimated yield of 1485 kWh / year
    • Prediction Accuracy: 17% of predicted output

- Airdolphin (17,548 euro) : 393 kWh per year or an average output of 44.8 watts
    Power: 1 kW by a supplier estimated yield of 1800 kWh / year
    • Prediction Accuracy: 22% of predicted output

- WRE 030 (29,512 euro) : 404 kWh per year or an average output of 46 watts
    Power: 3 kW, according to the supplier with an estimated yield of 900 kWh / year
    • Prediction Accuracy: 45% of predicted output

- WRE 060 (37,187 euro) : 485 kWh per year or an average output of 55.4 watts
    Power: 6 kW, according to the supplier with an estimated yield of 6000 kWh / year
    • Prediction Accuracy: 8% of predicted output

- Passaat (9,239 euro) : 578 kWh per year or an average output of 66 watts
    Power: 1.4 kW with a supplier by the estimated yield of 1250 kWh / year
    • Prediction Accuracy: 46% of predicted output

- Skystream (10,742 euro) : 2,109 kWh per year or an average power output of 240.7 watts
    Power: 1.8 kW with the supplier an estimated yield of 1360 kWh / year
    • Prediction Accuracy: 155% of predicted output

- Montana (18,508 euro) : 2,691 kWh per year or an average power output of 307 watts.
    Power: 5 kW with a supplier by the estimated yield of 4500 kWh / year
    • Prediction Accuracy: 60% of predicted output

Most of them average around 20% of predicted performance--And only Skystream exceeded predicted performance!

-Bill

Most of the "smaller" wind turbines produced around (average) of 1kWH per day (1,000 WH). The more "interesting" models that did not look like traditional wind turbines tended to produce less power (and be more unreliable). And remember, they will only produce during windy weather.

One of the best performers in the above test, Skystream, went out of business a while back. And even though the could have pretty good performance, there were lots of installation/reliability issues.

So, back to the basics--How much power do you need, how much wind do you have, and how high are you going to install the turbine?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • danielb
    danielb Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm just doing this as a introduction project to wind power. So i'm really just going into this blindly...
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    danielb wrote: »
    I'm just doing this as a introduction project to wind power. So i'm really just going into this blindly...

Regrettably that's what most people do.
    Finding 70 MPH wind is not easy, nor is it pleasant if you do find it.

Two biggest mistakes with wind power:

1). Improper installation, including lack of proper site evaluation, too short tower, too many obstructions, incorrect wiring.

2). Cheap, piece-of-junk turbines sold to the unsuspecting with ridiculous output claims that really won't make power even if you get #1 right.

Don't go into it blind. Read, read, read. :D

And welcome to the forum.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

The great irony of small scale wind, is that if you have enough power to be useful, you probably have to much for the hardware to last very long. Small scale wind operates in a harsh environment, with lots of lie loads that shorten hardware life considerably. Being high in the air, (high enough to be above ground to reduce ground turbulence to a minimum) makes it hard to service things like bearings that take a beating in high and or gusting winds.

I know of almost nobody that is happy with a small scale wind install, safe a few sale boaters. For my money, I would go with PV any day, unless you are prepad to go thigh a much bigger unit, like a Bergy. Chris Olsen here has more eperience designing, building and installing homestead sized wind.

Tony