New solar installation - optimization and tips for improvements

2»

Comments

• sanitariu
    sanitariu Solar Expert Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Re: New solar installation - optimization and tips for improvements

Finally all these problems fixed.
    I've got answer from MS to remove "cancel float" check box and now absorption time is perfect. If i setup 2 hours it is 2 hours not more.
    Voltage drop must be calculated for 12 volt and entered then it is calculated for 24 volt system.

Now i have another question about batteries.
    I am attaching 2 images.
    Which diagram connection is better ?

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
    4 X 240watt Luxor, Victron Energy Multiplus Compact 24 volt 1200VA, electrodacus solar controller, 8 x WB-LYP160AHA LiFeYPO4 3.2volt
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

The diagonal one with the two vertical jumpers (new.jpg). It is easier to check for equal current flow with a clamp meter (two center jumpers).

And, personally, I like the one with two vertical jumpers because it is easier to monitor battery bank voltage. When you measure each 12 volt (or 6 volt) battery block, they will have different voltages (if there is a problem). If you connect each individual block in parallel, then you force the same voltage across each battery pair and it is much more difficult to use a volt meter to see if there is a battery problem.

If everything is working right, you don't need to parallel the sub batteries together because they should all be at the same voltage. If they are different voltages, then you want to know that.

Also, if you do have an electrical problem, it is possible for two batteries in parallel and one battery in the second set--You will kill the second single battery (50% discharge on two parallel, 100% discharge on one below).

Interesting idea about the connections--You did meet (from what I can tell) the requirement for equal cable length for all electrical paths (assuming all jumpers are the same length). The new.jpg drawing is just my preference.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • sanitariu
    sanitariu Solar Expert Posts: 33 ✭✭

I did small battery upgrade. Now i have 6 x 12 volt batteries. I am attaching picture of how i connect them.
    Note the 2 small cables only 6mm ! All the rest are 50mm. If anyone knows of any problem about that type of connections please let me know.

Attachment not found.
    4 X 240watt Luxor, Victron Energy Multiplus Compact 24 volt 1200VA, electrodacus solar controller, 8 x WB-LYP160AHA LiFeYPO4 3.2volt
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

I, personally, do not like to connect secondary current paths for series/parallel batteries.

If everything is working well--There will be no current flow through the 6mm wire. If you have an open cell/connection in the 50mm wiring, then a bunch of current will flow through the 6mm wire and start a fire.

And, the extra wire will hide problems. If you have a cell/battery/poor wiring connection. The extra wiring puts another battery in parallel with the failing component and makes it difficult to see the problem (I suggest using a volt meter to measure each cell/battery voltage once a month to look for problems (high or low voltage compared to others in the bank). You can also get a DC Current Clamp type DMM to measure shared current flow. With "extra cross connections", it makes it very difficult to see these difference.

So--I would just remove the 6mm cable and call it a day.

Also, with paralleled batteries, in theory, each string should have its own fuse/breaker for electrical safety (wrench falls on battery bank, cell fails shorted, etc.). The extra fuse/breaker per parallel battery string is expensive and a bit of a pain to install. Many people (probably most) do not do the extra fuses/breakers--But electrically and for safety reasons is is a good idea.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset