Battery Monitor Options?

Options
I am looking for advice and recommendations on how to best monitor the batteries in the small 17' Oliver RV I am putting together.

The typical battery utilization in my trailer will involve relatively heavy battery cycling, and it will be important to make sure that the batteries rarely go below 50% and never below 80% depletion. I therefore consider a good battery monitoring solution essential. Running a solar system in an RV without a battery monitor is like driving a car without a gas gauge.

Right now it looks like I will have 220 amp hours of LifeLine AGM batteries, 200W of solar panels, and either a MorningStar MPPT or BlueSky 2512iX solar controller. I still haven't picked out my inverter / charger for the system.

Anyway - these are the options I am considering for battery and system monitoring:

+ Trimetric 2020 -- The most affordable and basic battery monitoring system I have seen. Unattractive panel for mounting in an RV.

+ BlueSky IPN-Pro Remote -- Requires being paired with a BlueSky solar charge controller, and offers both solar system and battery monitoring with a very attractive and easy to use display. (I have this setup on my current trailer and I've been fairly impressed with it...)

+ Magnum Energy Battery Monitor -- Requires the use of a Magnum Inverter and remote control unit. I was really disappointed to discover that this will not work with the smaller Magnum MM or MMS inverters - making the total solution to implement this likely overkill (and overexpensive) for my needs.

+ Xantrex Battery Monitor -- Replaced the Link 10, and reportedly being discontinued and replaced by the upcoming LinkLite and LinkPRO. Seems like a nice UI, but I have no experience with this product line.

Do any of you have any comments on these options? Experiences or opinions to share? Is there anything else I should be considering?

I am particularly interested in comparing and contrasting the Xantrex options with the BlueSky IPN-Pro.

Thanks for all the great advice I've been getting,

- Chris // www.technomadia.com

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Battery Monitor Options?

I have not used a Battery Monitor--but I am a big supporter of knowing what your battereis are doing at anytime.

Read the functions/features for the Xantrex XBM--one or two others here us it and are very happy with it.

I like the new Xantrex meter specs.--they have a contact you can program as a low voltage disconnect (relay control, or connect to inverters with a DC control signal to protect your very expensive batteries). If you plan on leaving your loads on (PC's charging, local wireless network, etc.)--an accurate LVD may be worth its weight in lead (acid batteries).

For the charge controller(s) and battery meter, make sure you get the battery temperature sensor(s) too (BTS).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset