WIRING Diagarm for XANTREX Prowatt 1750 remote switch

Retired747
Retired747 Registered Users Posts: 10
Greetings,

I have just bought a XANTREX ProWatt 1750 but unfortunately the seller could not find the remote switch panel and cable for it.

I have seen them advertised on the NET by various suppliers and they are anything from $25 to $35..... I can make one for about $10......

I would like to make a remote switch panel for the unit but need the wiring diagram, I noticed that they use a telephone cord type connector....all I need is the pin wiring configuration.

Anyone out there that can help please.

Thanks a million :D

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: WIRING Diagarm for XANTREX Prowatt 1750 remote switch

Hi "Retired 747", welcome to the forum!
    Re your question, you may well find the answer far more complex than you expect, but hopefully not.
    While I don't have experience with a XANTREX ProWatt 1750, I do have a Xantrex Pure Sine 1800/12, and it too uses a telephone type cord and connectors to join it to the remote switch. In my case, I had assumed it would be a simple on/off switch, and that I could extend the wires to the house 100 feet distant, but soon learned different. On having a look inside the remote switch unit I found a small circuit board complete with IC chips etc, and realized the remote was not a simple on/off switch, but a complex device in it's own right, and used the phone cable to communicate with the inverter in computer speak. The actual mechanical switch feeds it's state to the IC chips, which converts it to a bit stream and sends the commands back to the inverters internal control computer. SOOO unlike the El-Cheapo automotive inverters. Furthermore, I figured, no problem, I'll just extend the cable like I did for the Morningstar TS-MPPT-60, which is quite happy operating it's remote display 125 feet away. Alas it was not to be. With the Xantrex, 50 feet was pretty much the limit. Even tried Cat-5 cable, same thing. 50 feet OK, 100 feet no way.
    So like I say, you may well be able to make your own remote switch, but don't be surprised if it's far from simple.
    Hopefully someone else can offer up details on your specific inverter.
    Wayne
  • Retired747
    Retired747 Registered Users Posts: 10

Greetings Wayne,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I thought that might be the case; as the inverter front panel switch would have to be left switched on, so I assume the remote panel would have some kind of logic 'flip-flop' circuitry that would allow remote switching; that is why they can get away using a simple telephone cord as it has minor current carrying capability.
    As for the distance, yes logic circuits have their limitations even when using network cable.

Maybe I will have to byte (pun!) the bullet and fork out the $25 or so and get the real thing from XANTREX direct.

Cheers
    Eric :D
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    SOOO unlike the El-Cheapo automotive inverters.

For the sake of truth, El-Cheapo two wire switch would work at virtually any distance.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    For the sake of truth, El-Cheapo two wire switch would work at virtually any distance.
    Yes, they do on the El Cheapo inverters, although in fear of lightening induced voltages being routed into the circuitery of my former El Cheapos, I used a small relay at the inverter to do the signal switching, so there was no direct connection between the long wire going to the remote switch, and the actual guts of the inverter.