XW MPPT 80 600 communication with XW4860

Options
XW-in-Isabeau
XW-in-Isabeau Registered Users Posts: 3
Could anyone shine some light in the possible reasons for the following:

I am not able to see the mppt in a scp connected to a xw6048. When the scp is connected to the mppt directly or
to the XW4860 I can see both using the same cables.

So, if is not the cabling (the cables, or the terminators). What could be problem? Maybe the firmware versions? Thank you.

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: XW MPPT 80 600 communication with XW4860

It would be helpful if you explained how exactly the XanBus cables are connected. In what order, where terminators are. A wiring diagram would be very good.
  • XW-in-Isabeau
    Options
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    It would be helpful if you explained how exactly the XanBus cables are connected. In what order, where terminators are. A wiring diagram would be very good.

Please find herein the wiring diagram.
    Attachment not found.
  • NorthGuy
    Options
    Please find herein the wiring diagram.

First, I would test if sockets are good. You can do that by swaping cables at XW. Say, you have SCC connect to socket A and SCP to socket B. Try connecting SCC to socket B and SCP to socket A. If nothing changes, sockets are good.

Then, I would suspect a cable problem - e.g. too long, too much internal capacitance. I would try to fix things by re-arranging devices. You can try to connect SCP on the other side: terminator-SCP-SCC-XW-terminator.

If that doesn't help, I would try to increase resistance of the terminators. The simplest way to do that is to pull one of the terminators off - the one which is closest to the SCC. If that works, you can leave it or you can try to manufacture a terminator with higher resistance. The standard is 120 Ohm. You can try 220 or 470 Ohm.

If nothing of this helps, then there's firmware problem or similar defect.
  • XW-in-Isabeau
    Options

I will try that as soon as I got there tomorrow and then report the findings afterwards. Regards,
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will try that as soon as I got there tomorrow and then report the findings afterwards. Regards,
    Also, if the cable length will allow it, try connecting the control panel first to the CC and from there to the inverter. If you can then see only the CC, there may be a problem with the second cable. (crossover wired or not, for example.)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Could anyone shine some light in the possible reasons for the following:

I am not able to see the mppt in a scp connected to a xw6048. When the scp is connected to the mppt directly or
    to the XW4860 I can see both using the same cables.

So, if is not the cabling (the cables, or the terminators). What could be problem? Maybe the firmware versions? Thank you.

You really should call Schneider if this is new equipment! Failing that, I have had occasions where one of the devices gets corrupted. The cure for the device that is screwed-up is to leave it powered off for a day or so. No DC power nothing! If this is new equipment the only possible firmware would be for the SCP as it needs the newest to capture harvest data from your array. It should work fine for everything elese no matter how old. Good Luck
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• inetdog
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    Also, if the cable length will allow it, try connecting the control panel first to the CC and from there to the inverter. If you can then see only the CC, there may be a problem with the second cable. (crossover wired or not, for example.)

Modbus nodes must have unique Modbus IDs (in the range 0 to 255). By default the ID of a Xantrex Modbus device will be set to last two digits of the device serial number (except that 00 will become 100), but this can be changed via a configuration register.
    If two devices on the bus have the same physical ID set, you will not be able to talk to both of them, and the one closest to the control panel might consistently be the one that wins.
    If you assumed that the physical ID was a network number and set it the same on all units you will have very strange problems.

Please check the physical IDs on your CC and Inverter as well as on the Control Panel.
  • NorthGuy
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    Modbus nodes must have unique Modbus IDs (in the range 0 to 255).

SW series use Modbus. New XW Xantrexes do not use Modbus. They use so-called Xanbus, which is a different protocol based on CAN bus.
  • inetdog
    Options
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    SW series use Modbus. New XW Xantrexes do not use Modbus. They use so-called Xanbus, which is a different protocol based on CAN bus.

Thanks NorthGuy.

A little bit confusing since ModBus is also based on CAN bus (or vice versa?) , but with a different protocol.

The key point of difference for this situation seems to be that each different type of device has its own unique identifier and so the DeviceID (00 to 31) is only needed when there is more than one of the same device type in a network. Since both devices show up as the proper type when they are alone on the bus, I think that type ID is probably working correctly.

Since the Xanbus physical layer can be run entirely as a bus, using T connectors or entirely as a daisy chain, using two ports and cables for devices other than the ends and terminators at the ends, it may be worth the effort to get another cable and a T to see whether that configuration works any better. Another possibility just for testing would be to put the controller between the CC and the Inverter, using both ports on the controller.