150 watt solar panel for 24 ft RV

Options
jkissing
jkissing Registered Users Posts: 1
I know I should do a power usage estimate. But is a 150 watt pannel for a 24 ft Rv used by just two people be too much. The charge should not be too much?

Thanks

James

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 150 watt solar panel for 24 ft RV

Welcome to the forum.

The number of people doesn't make much difference; it's the amount of battery capacity you have. In all likelihood 150 Watts is not enough. That would just support 100 Amp hours @ 12 Volts. Chances are your RV has twice that.
  • Dragonlady5
    Dragonlady5 Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: 150 watt solar panel for 24 ft RV
    jkissing wrote: »
    I know I should do a power usage estimate. But is a 150 watt pannel for a 24 ft Rv used by just two people be too much. The charge should not be too much?

Thanks

James

Yes you really should do a power usage estimate and more. "150 Watts of panel for a 24 ft Rv .. two people" is, not enough information to estimate the 'right amount' of power generation.

May consider looking at or considering:
    Does this 150 W panel nominal Voltage match your battery system? If not does the solar controller compensate for the mismatch (MPPT or non-MPPT)? If the panel does not match your battery and you do not have a MPPT controller (more costly typically) your daily harvested power will be ~50% of the potential.
    Amp hour capacity of the battery (bank) being charged?
    How long are you dry camping?
    Watt hour or Amp hour usage per day?

For 2 people 150 Watts of solar is generally not too much, and may just be, too little.
    IMHO.