standing seam mounts

Options
jtdiesel65
jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
I'm looking at installing solar hot water (dhw). My house has standing seam and the roof is facing south east. I would have to tilt the panels maybe 45 degrees to face south better.

I saw some clamp mounts for PV, but I'm not sure if these are workable for a hydro panel or if these are suitable for a panel that is tilted.

any ideas?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: standing seam mounts

Solar Guppy replied before about this type of mount... In the end, these mounts will hold onto a thin piece of sheetmetal--and the first strong wind will rip the panels and roof sheathing right off.

As an example, a BP solar panel is rated for 50 lb per sq foot wind loading and 113 PSF for snow loading. A single 205 watt panel is 66"x33"=15 sqft. Or 750 lbs of force (pull and push) from the wind and 1,700 lbs of snow load.

If this will be installed using a building permit, normally a structural engineer will be required to approve the structure/panel mounts.

If no permit is required--still you will want to make sure you mounts are storm resistant... Even if you are not worried--30 lb panels (plus attached structure) hitting your down wind neighbor will still be of issue.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jtdiesel65
    Options

thanks

I thought they might be too good to be true.

No permits required. I was just concerned about whether these would work with heavier loads and having a panel tilted into the wind.

Maybe I'll look at a ground mount. I really do not like putting holes in my roof...especially since its metal and there is no way to fix it without the right tools.
  • newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Solar Guppy replied before about this type of mount... In the end, these mounts will hold onto a thin piece of sheetmetal--and the first strong wind will rip the panels and roof sheathing right off.

As an example, a BP solar panel is rated for 50 lb per sq foot wind loading and 113 PSF for snow loading. A single 205 watt panel is 66"x33"=15 sqft. Or 750 lbs of force (pull and push) from the wind and 1,700 lbs of snow load.

If this will be installed using a building permit, normally a structural engineer will be required to approve the structure/panel mounts.

If no permit is required--still you will want to make sure you mounts are storm resistant... Even if you are not worried--30 lb panels (plus attached structure) hitting your down wind neighbor will still be of issue.

-Bill

Unirac makes these and I think they would be very helpful in providing support for the loads they support. They are being used in practice. Are there any known cases of them tearing off roofs under loads that they are rated for?
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't recall replying to these types of mounts and have no first hand experiance with them

I have read that there can be issues with the clamps in that they prevent the roof from expansion/contraction and section that are clamped will cause the roof to buckle at the clamp points ( standing seam is a fitted, but movable seam )
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    I don't recall replying to these types of mounts and have no first hand experience with them...

My mistake--I thought you had commented about attachments to a metal standing seam roof, but I am wrong.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jtdiesel65
    Options

I think I'll make some calls.

The documents from solarroofs.com mentioned using the clamps from http://www.dynamicfastener.com/ for standing seam.

This article seems to prefer the clamp mounts over making holes.

http://www.buildings.com/articles/detail.aspx?contentID=5762
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

For the solarroofs panels, the clamps will be fine. The Panels are VERY lightweight, less than solar panels and since they are very narrow, they should not be an issue for the expansion/contraction concerns.

I would suggest 6 clamps per panel ... that what I had on my old home and thoses panels made it thru 4 hurriances

I would NOT drill any holes into the metalroof!