Solar Electric Lawmower

Options
I am interested in converting an already electric (but corded) lawnmower into a solar charged machine. I've looked at a couple machines and I'm not sure how to head forward.

One of the most promising (nicest) that I've found has the specs of 1500 watt, 12 amp electric motor, BUT it is a corded machine! I would want to run it off of a battery instead of having to deal with the cords.

Let me just see if anyone can confirm what I think is true; If I were to figure out a way to hook in a 12 volt, 125 amp-hr battery; would that be giving me the same juice that this machine is pulling from the cord? I can then go from lots of existing models to build the solar charger with all of the charge controls needed to not fry the battery (or even have one charging while one is being used!) I dropped out of physics 2 when we got to the physics of electricity; right now I'm kind of regretting that since I don't have a handle on amps, volts, watts....

Any help in this project would be great!

Cheers,
Justin

Comments

• halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Electric Lawmower

i think all the corded models are 120 volts ac so not shure how you would overcome that unless you intended for a inverter to but then wieght would be getting up there. on a side note i have a battery powerd pushmower from DR Power equipment and love it i use it for about 1 hr every mowing
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Hey halfcrazy, how much did you spend on that mower and where can I find one? Really, an hours worth of use on one charge?
  • halfcrazy
    Options

i bought a reconditioned one from these guys
    http://www.drpower.com/prdSell.aspx?Name=CEMNeutonMowerRecon&p1Name=ClearanceProducts&Chap=ReconditionedPowerEquipment&src=AW51567XE2553829
    i routinely get a hour out of it i have only once ever run the battery low enough to tell and my grass was way high and wetish and it went a good 50 minutes that day it is 2 years old now and i wouldnt trade for any other. now i just need to convert my rider to electric and we will be all set they say i am crazy brand new shiny 20 hp yardman and i am going to yank the engine out of it :-D
  • System2
    Options

Thanks halfcrazy. Just askng, how long does it take to charge the mower's batteries? I have a small solar setup that would be perfect for this application. I was using my setup to charge an electric powered scooter, but since I have given the scooter to my step son, I'm back to finding a use for the power. How long does the mower take to charge?
  • halfcrazy
    Options

well it has a dc plug and a ac walwart and i leave it plugged in all the time as it isnt a very large draw but i tthink i remember them saying that it took 16 hours? i think the battery has a charge controller in it so you could go straight dc it is 24 volt dc though.
  • System2
    Options

i looked into this in the spring too. what i REALLY wanted was a small cordless for the parts of the yard i should mow more for appearances ;)
    but since im such an infrequent mower i thought thats great id probably only use 1% of the electricity it uses to keep it charged all year, or face dead batteries again... then i looked at corded. but corded is a pita. i have a push real one btw and it stinks, forget about cutting high grass! thats probably the best thing for these small lawns if anyone has recommendation on a brand/type that works

decided my current approach of only mowing the lawn when i cant see the dogs legs is probably best for now. last yr only did it 4-5 times no kidding. its just such a time consumer (an awkward 1/2acre with obstacles) the urban side of my creative spririt (which is my current plan) wants to cover the lawn with plantings and decking extensions so theres less to mow. these things are on "the list" which i hate to say is getting longer quick.