federal tax credit

Options
jtdiesel65
jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
I know that you can take the credit for PV and for SolarHydro, but can you take the credit for PV once in 2006 and then again in 2008?

I took the tax credit for PV on my 2006 tax year. This was a $2000 credit.

The question is if I install another array in 2008, can I take another $2000 credit?

My understanding is the program extends to Dec 2008, I'm just not sure if it was supposed to be a one-time credit or if it can be used each year.

thanks

Comments

• jtdiesel65
    jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: federal tax credit

I haven't found an answer to this question. Sounds like you can, but this seems to be a fuzzy area.

Interestingly, a new bill to extend this credit is being proposed in the senate. The most interesting aspect is that the new bill proposes to eliminate the $2000 ceiling and that means that one could receive a full 30% credit.
  • GreenerPower
    GreenerPower Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Look at IRS tax form 5695, don't look like there is limit like the ones for energy efficiency as windows.
    GP
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options
    Look at IRS tax form 5695, don't look like there is limit like the ones for energy efficiency as windows.
    GP

Look at line 18, Max credit is $2000.00.
  • GreenerPower
    GreenerPower Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I meant limit like every 2 years. $2000 cap still applies in 2008. Hopefully the proposed bill is passed to lift this limit for 2009 and on.
    GP
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

I see, ok.