Xantrex XW mppt60-150 Country of Origin?

Options
jbdpark
jbdpark Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
I have just received my Xantrex MPPT 60-150 Charge Controller, purchased from
a well establish online store. Information on the package and label on the unit,
states it was designed in Canada and made in China. I was under the impression
all the Xantrex products were build in North America. Can anyone comment on that.
Also the installation booklet is in 5 different languages but english, is that normal?

Thanks God, the user guide is written in English and Spanish.

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Xantrex XW mppt60-150 Country of Origin?

Yes, designed in Canada, made in China.

There should be a separate manual in English.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think this statement is in the past tense

''all the Xantrex products were built in North America''

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

Xantrex was originally Trace from the Seattle area - that brought modern electronics to the inverter market.
    So successful they went over to Chinese manufacture which is where the Xantrex name came in.
    They didn't change the design but did have some manufacturing problems due to their high standards.
    Then recently sold most of the renewables line to big Schneider Electric which is reworking everything gradually.
    Haven't changed the XW CC yet apparently.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Solarix,

My view of the history of Xantrex to Schneider, is that Xantrex products in the early years were made in Canada. Schneider bought Xantrex at some point, but kept the X name for a while. Then, four or so years ago, still under the X name, MFG went to China.

X had a trans-shipping point in Northern WA, somewhere like Blaine, WA, to accommodate USA customers. Quite possibly, there was some form of Engineering that took place in WA in that time period, as the OB and MN Founders also worked at Trace and the Big X, at least for some time, as I recall.

boB and/or Robin, Founders of OB and Mn, are members here, perhaps they or others may correct the above.

The LONG supply chain from China to Canada, and then to the US often means that the Schneider products that we buy "fresh from distribution" are actually quite STALE, and are down-rev on FirmWare and perhaps hardware as well.

Unless one MUST have a Schneider product, other manufacturer's products are often much better IMHO. YMMV, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.