The Solar Winds Gathering Place by Michael Jantzen

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
The Solar Winds Gathering place is a design proposal for a large, prefabricated, modular, public art project. In this specific formation, the entire gathering place consists of a cluster of 15 specially designed steel wind turbines. Each of the turbines has a large solar cell array mounted on the top. All of the turbines are [...]The post The Solar Winds Gathering Place by Michael Jantzen appeared first on Solar Feeds.

go to solarfeeds for the rest of this story>>>>>solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=ff11JVQCnkQ:Ct6Gy0XYOFE:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=ff11JVQCnkQ:Ct6Gy0XYOFE:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
ff11JVQCnkQ

More...

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: The Solar Winds Gathering Place by Michael Jantzen
    RSSfeed wrote: »
    The Solar Winds Gathering place is a design proposal for a large, prefabricated, modular, public art project. In this specific formation, the entire gathering place consists of a cluster of 15 specially designed steel wind turbines. Each of the turbines has a large solar cell array mounted on the top. All of the turbines are [...]

I believe the proper phrase is "All of the turbines are POS..." :-)

If you look at it entirely as art, then fine. But the VAWTs are too low ("range from 16 to 36 feet in height"), in each others' wind, and generally impractical looking (very short Savonius?)
    I would not be surprised if the artist ends up using the solar cells at the top of each turbine to make them spin to convince people that they are working.
    Is this the kind of education and public outreach effort that Solar needs?
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Now, now! You know that if you want a really practical renewable energy system you get it designed by an artist, not an engineer! :p
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    inetdog wrote: »
    I believe the proper phrase is "All of the turbines are POS..." :-)

If you look at it entirely as art, then fine. But the VAWTs are too low ("range from 16 to 36 feet in height"), in each others' wind, and generally impractical looking (very short Savonius?)
    I would not be surprised if the artist ends up using the solar cells at the top of each turbine to make them spin to convince people that they are working.
    Is this the kind of education and public outreach effort that Solar needs?

And since it is grid tied, the cell phone charging stations will work whether the rig is actually producing power or not - just like they would anywhere else on the grid.