airx 400 hooked up to c60 conflicts?

Options
hermit
hermit Solar Expert Posts: 25
i am considering hooking up my airx 400watt 24v turbine through a c60 charge controller. i bought the 24v turbine because i will eventually be switching over my 12v modified sine wave inverters over to 24v pure sine wave inverters.

my theory; the batteries are in a 12v config, the 24v wind turbine voltage would be brought down (by the c60 loading (non mppt) between 24v turbine and 12v battery config)
if the 24v internal regulator on the turbine is not at switch/taper off voltage, the turbine will continue to charge until the batteries are no longer taking any appreciable amps, at this point the battery voltage has increased and the c60would back off, and turbine voltage would increase and the internal regulator would back off and the turbine would reduce/cease charging.

the reason for doing this (yes i know the airx can be hooked directly to batteries for charging) is i am also running a xwmppt60 charge controller with solar to the same 12v battery bank. i dont want either of the controllers to prematurelly stop charging because it`s seeing the other`s voltage while the batteries can still be charged.

any input or suggestions appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: airx 400 hooked up to c60 conflicts?

I don't think the AirX will work at 12V, it needs to see 24V to start.
  • rich
    rich Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To solve this problem a attatched a DC rectifier in-line right before my controller...but this may not fit with your plans....I will say that before doing this my numbers were all over the place and my dump load was dumping more often than not, don't know why but the relay just started to clik back and fro...cilk/clik/clik...so-on...after installing the rectifier inline to the controller the problem stopped...im no expert but I hope I helped a little....isn't air x an AC 3 phase?...mine is....u sure You have an air x?....ok im an idiot...didn't realize this thread was translated from stone tablets...ill shut-up now...gb.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

There is too much Voltage differential for a "24 Volt" turbine to be used on a "12 Volt" system with just dump load regulation.

All turbines are AC on the inside. It's the output wiring that makes the difference. When they've sealed them up and given them a regulated output around 30 Volts for charging a 24 Volt system you're going to have a hard time using it for 12 Volts without feeding it through something like a MidNite Classic + Clipper, which is a pretty expensive way to regulate an inexpensive wind turbine.

Simply sticking a diode or rectifier on the DC+ output won't do much more than drop a Volt. If it does do more than that then the turbine isn't working right to begin with.

Mind you, most of them don't.
  • rich
    rich Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is too much Voltage differential for a "24 Volt" turbine to be used on a "12 Volt" system with just dump load regulation.

All turbines are AC on the inside. It's the output wiring that makes the difference. When they've sealed them up and given them a regulated output around 30 Volts for charging a 24 Volt system you're going to have a hard time using it for 12 Volts without feeding it through something like a MidNite Classic + Clipper, which is a pretty expensive way to regulate an inexpensive wind turbine.

Simply sticking a diode or rectifier on the DC+ output won't do much more than drop a Volt. If it does do more than that then the turbine isn't working right to begin with, .

Mind you, most of them don't.
    ...lol, (actually im going to convert mine into a water-wheel , different story for a different board). By all means You are correct, I think I may have misunderstood his issue, I use a dc turbine control,from india ,seems to dump at the 14.6 volt mark,(if it would stay constant) then it diverts the load into a secondary battery(using a relay I rigged up ) this giant tugboat battery has a constant parasitic load and a weak cell not to mention a good run of substandard wire...it eats up the dump and doesn't heat up to much...(will run all my led and cfl for a few days if needed)its isolated from the rest of the system., this I run parallel to a 60 amp solar charge controller that handles most of the work for my main batteries....I need to mention my turbine has only an ac 3 wire output.This was a personal choice as it may be quite a distance from the receiving end....