Generator Integration to small system

Options
hemmjo
hemmjo Solar Expert Posts: 90 ✭✭
Once more thanks to those who have had helped me plan system for the mission I am working with in the Dominican Republic.

So far the includes 2 - Solartech 30 Watt Panels, a Morningstar SS-10L Solar Charge Controller, with Midnite Solar MNEPV breakers. I am hoping to find 2 - 6 volt or a 12volt deep cycle batterie in country. These will be used to pump water from our well with a small Shurflo 12 volt 60 psi pump.

My next question is in regard to generator back up. We have a Honda eu2000. This unit has both 120 and 12 volt output. My plan was to simply use the generator to directly run the pump if the batteries were discharged. However it seems it would be better for the batteries to keep them charged. I hesitate to hook the generator directly to the batteries as is intended in the Honda owners manual, it states, "The DC receptacle should ONLY be used for charging 12-volt automotive type batteries. The DC charging output is not regulated." From what I now know about batteries, especially deep cycle, they need special charging requirements and "not regulated" does not fill me with confidence.

Is it a bad idea to hook the generator to the solar inputs on the the SS-10L controller. How would it know if little electrons are coming from the sun or from the burning of gasoline? This controller can handle 10 amps of input. The panels are 1.77 A max each, the generator output is 8 amps for a total of 11.54 which is outside the controllers limit.

I could put a 10 amp circuit breaker on the input side of the controller to limit input. I have room in the box for two more breakers.
Or a switch prevent both the panels and the generator from feeding power at the same time.
Or should I just get different charger or controller to run the generator through. It could be either 12 or 120 volt input.

Or, should I run the pump directly from the generator when necessary? (really hope I don't have to do this)

Your input is greatly appreciated,

John
Two systems in the Dominican Republic  http://villagemountainmission.org/
installed Feb 2014 at 19.796189° -70.893594°, Classic 150 + WBJR, KISAE SW1210, MN Battery Monitor, IOTA DLS 55/IQ4,  4- Solar World 275w, 4-6v x 225ah Trace Batteries
installed Feb 2015 at 19.795733° -70.893372°, same components  as above
Honda PowerMate PC0497000, 7000/8750w generator - powers the well and chargers maybe once a week

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Generator Integration to small system

Forget the 12v output on the generator. Get a Stand alone Charger. This one would work great on 2 , 6v batteries. Get the IQ-4 option on it.

http://www.solar-electric.com/dls-30.html
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

The Honda 12 volt output is really only for an emergency... The 12 volt output is only good for ~100 watts, and only works if the ECO Throttle is off--A lot of fuel to use.

Plus, although I could not find it in my manual, others have reported that the Honda Manual (or warning label) said not to use the DC charger and the AC output at the same time.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • hemmjo
    hemmjo Solar Expert Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Options

I have read the specifications for the Iota DLS-30 charger with IQ-4. It does look like a nice unit, it would certainly utilize the power of the generator much better to charge the batteries more quickly. However that model does push this project way over my budget. I may have to push for it as it seems to be the last piece of the puzzle, and this whole project HAS TO WORK when completed. With that in mind is there a less expensive option to consider?

If I get a charger, which it looks like I must do, can both the Honda powered charge and the Solar Charge Controller be connected and charging at the same time? Or should I turn off the solar connection when I use the generator?

Thanks,

John
    Two systems in the Dominican Republic  http://villagemountainmission.org/
    installed Feb 2014 at 19.796189° -70.893594°, Classic 150 + WBJR, KISAE SW1210, MN Battery Monitor, IOTA DLS 55/IQ4,  4- Solar World 275w, 4-6v x 225ah Trace Batteries
    installed Feb 2015 at 19.795733° -70.893372°, same components  as above
    Honda PowerMate PC0497000, 7000/8750w generator - powers the well and chargers maybe once a week

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    hemmjo wrote: »
    I have read the specifications for the Iota DLS-30 charger with IQ-4. It does look like a nice unit, it would certainly utilize the power of the generator much better to charge the batteries more quickly. However that model does push this project way over my budget. I may have to push for it as it seems to be the last piece of the puzzle, and this whole project HAS TO WORK when completed. With that in mind is there a less expensive option to consider?

If I get a charger, which it looks like I must do, can both the Honda powered charge and the Solar Charge Controller be connected and charging at the same time? Or should I turn off the solar connection when I use the generator?

Thanks,

John
    You could drop the IQ-4 now and they have a plug in module you could add later, that would save $30.00. You'd have a 2 stage charger, but that would work. You can always look on E-bay for something. The IOTA will save you money in the long run because it has very stable Output. You'll get the full 30 Amps for as long as it has power and the batteries will accept it.
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Options
    hemmjo wrote: »

Thanks,

John

I use 2 black and decker 10 amp smart chargers . I to have a small budget . Don't use them much .

Thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat