solar charge controller confusion

Options
I purchased a SunSaver 10 charge controller with LVD. I hooked up my system by first connecting the battery to the controller. Then I attached a PV - 6V panel to the controller - as stated the light turns green to show that the unit is "charging" my battery (wet cell - 12V) -- however when I check the battery with my voltmeter it shows that the battery is loosing voltage not gaining voltage - went from 11.5 down to 10.3 over a few hours.

Can anyone advise what I am doing incorrectly.

Thank you.

Comments

• rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: solar charge controller confusion

ragurkis
    If your statement is correct and you have a 6v panel, then that is your problem. You cannot charge a 12v battery with a 6v panel. Most 12v panels actually put out 17v or more, mine put out 23.5v. You are going to need either more of the same panels and connect them in series or different panels with a higher voltage.
    Larry
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks - but I thought that most PV's that are used for trickle charging car batteries had less voltage output than 12 V. Am I also incorrect about that?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

ragurkis, your statement is incorrect and no charging can occur if the voltage is under 12v, with 12v panels usually made with open circuit voltages exceeding 20v. the battery was discharging through your little panel and had you had a blocking diode inline the battery would not have discharged. at the same time it would not have charged either. you need another 6v panel like that wired in series to come up with 12v or buy a 12v panel. be advised to not have 3 or more such 6v panels wired in series to charge a 12v battery as this will fry the battery without a downconverter or a downconverting type mppt controller.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks - I was reminded of the error in my logic by a few people. - have to learn some how.