Adding generator

Options
haf1zur
haf1zur Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi

New to this, so please bear with me

I have this in a remote cabin:

solar-energy-diagram.gif

Single 150watt panel with a 100a/h battery running 12volts. The inverter is a 240v inverter 800watts. I will be adding 3 more panels as well as 3 more batteries next week.

It powers the lights and basic phone chargers via the inverter.

I also have a 12v 2400watt diesel generator of an unknown brand which poweres 12volt equipment directly, i wish to attach this generator to the diagram above to top up the batteries each morning and let the solar panel finish off the charge. the equipment that was run directly would then be run off the batteries

What would i need to connect the generator to the diagram above?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Adding generator

Welcome to the forum.

Your power system is fairly straightforward. The question is the generator's actual output. If it is regulated at 12 VDC it would provide Bulk charging to some extent, but would not be able to push the Voltage of the battery high enough to do a complete charge. If it is 13.8 Volts it would do a bit better. Ideally it would be above 15 Volts and feed through a separate charge controller or replace the panel input to the existing one.

Adding new batteries to old isn't a good idea as there can be significant actual difference between the old and new even if they are the same make and model. It depends on how much older and what amount of use & abuse the existing battery has seen.

Likewise adding more panels needs to be planned for matching specs in order to get best performance.

If you could supply more details about all the equipment used it would be helpful in determining the best course for you to take.
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Re: Adding generator

I am not fully sure what the real output of the generator is, will have to check this next time i am out there

Will see if i can dig up any specs anywhere, but i doubt it, this is old equipment, generator dates back to 1988 and the battery/panel date back to 2001