Battery bank sizing

Options
2»

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Battery bank sizing

Interesting, the information on the Rolls Surrette 2 volt batteries I'm so far keeping in mind for when replacement time arrives, states a recommended MAX charge rate of 10% C20. Then goes on to say lower charge rates will work, they just take longer. That said, I fully understand the need to occasionally bubble the batteries to mix the electrolyte, and the need to get them recharged before sulfation sets in. My 11 year old Power Battery bank has been fine with 5%, but I'm always very careful (perhaps too much so) to not discharge beyond what that 5% can put back in a timely fashion.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Battery bank sizing

I have explained the peak charge current rule-of-thumb numerous times in exacting detail.
    In conjunction with the DOD rule-of-thumb t works to create a balanced system almost all the time.
    I have also explained over and over than each system is unique and has to be tailored to the particular site and usage.
    Furthermore, some battery manufacturers in fact insist on higher charge rates than the minimal 5%. Haven't found one yet that recommends a very low rate broken up over several days.

It gets a bit tiresome having to write out eighteen paragraphs when one will do because people simply want the system to work.

Therefor I shall continue to explain things my way. Hard to argue with a 100% success rate. ;)