What's a good battery charger to run from a generator

Options
Poolguy
Poolguy Registered Users Posts: 10
I want to purchase a battery charger for my 12v battery bank. I have four interstate 6 volt golf car batteries. I want to use my gas generator as a backup to power the charger if I get too low on the bank during extended rain or cloudy days if needed. Ideally I would want something to just keep on the shelf and if needed, and the I could hook it up directly to the 12v output from the battery box. My genset outputs 110v ac. My main concern is how long it would have to run to get a decent emergency charge. Thanks in advance folks!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: What's a good battery charger to run from a generator

What you are looking at with four GC2 batteries is about 440 to 450 Amp hours of 12 Volt battery bank. Generators being pretty healthy fuel consumers, you want to keep the run time minimal while getting the batteries as charged as possible on those no-sun, no-fun days. You could go as high as 80 Amps, but that may be too extreme.

You have some options. You can get a 3-stage charger like the Iota http://www.solar-electric.com/bach1.html which can be had up to 90 Amps in 12 Volt, or you can muddle through with a standard auto charger knowing it won't do the "complete" charge routine. For efficiency's sake I'd recommend at least 45 Amps of charge current. That should bring the batteries up fairly quickly without subjecting them to undo heat stress. The run time would be about the same as the Bulk charge takes when powered by solar (if the array is set up to supply a 10% peak charge current).
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

FOR THE MONEY, the IOTA dls-55 with the separate plug in IQ-4 module. it's the most cost effective and offers so much flexibility. It will put out a Consistence 55 amp's for as long as you use it. The plug in IQ-4 module will give you a great 3 stage charge ability. The DLS-75 is about the same, but requires a 20 amp circuit and costs $100 more than the dls-55.

There are 2 quirks to it. The absorb cycle is for 7 hours @ 1 volt less than the bulk voltage trigger (14.7) . You can short cut it by unplugging the IQ-4 module and then re-plugging it. The second it it will run a full cycle every 7 days if left plugged in.

I have 4 of them, so yeah I am a fan boy, but only to a point. There are much better chargers, but not for the price and some that cost twice as much are a big disappointment. There is a way to do a Equalize charge with them ( 15.5 volts ), I can post it later.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...... There is a way to do a Equalize charge with them ( 15.5 volts ), I can post it later.

I am waiting. I've got the 48V charger, and hope the scheme will scale to it too.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't have a 48 V, but I assume they are the same. There are 8 or so screws to remove the outer cover. On the circuit board there is a 10 turn potentiometer ( blue in color, rectangular in shape w/ small silver adjustment screw on the fan end ) Anyway, IOTA's have two voltage outputs, one with the plug in the jack and one without. On the 12 V it's 13.4 v and 14.2 v. With the screw you can crank it up to about 15.5 V with the plug in and with a DVM on the output to adjust it. For a 24 Volt or a 48 Volt adjust accordingly.