Dow Solar Shingles Hit The Market

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
* After encouraging trials with roofing contractors in Texas, California and Colarado, Dow Chemical’s building integrated solar PV*is hitting the market. Dow’s Powerhouse Shingle integrates thin-film CIGS photovoltaic cells right into*standard asphalt shingles.*Roofing contractors install the shingles with no specialized*skills or knowledge of solar*installation*required. The product design is said to reduce installation costs...

go to solarfeeds for the rest of this story>>>>> solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=SMHZlio9UT8:CbfrqP0Gbs8:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=SMHZlio9UT8:CbfrqP0Gbs8:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
SMHZlio9UT8

More...

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Dow Solar Shingles Hit The Market
    RSSfeed wrote: »

Following the Dow link to more info, we find out that this results from installing a GTI: We always knew it took a special meter for net-metering. :-)

Attachment not found.

No clear indication how you deal with roof penetrations which would disturb the continuous rows of the shingle array. I am sure they have a way, but their illustrations show nice clean roofs.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I remember first hearing about this type of solar panel some 20+ years ago. Had the same problems then too.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

The thing to worry about is all those shingle to shingle connections. This has been the problem in the past. Plus, don't expect this to be a cost-competitive solution with Crystaline PV. For roofs that need new shingles and are in a oppressive HOA regime, might be a good way to go.

Were can I buy some of those I Luv Solar meters?