direct connect inverter generator

Is it possible to connect a DC source of 100A 28V directly into an inverter (DR2424) or does it need to go thru a battery bank first? I don't have batteries yet. Maybe a dumb question but I'd like to perform some testing of my DC power. I'm slowly getting the bits together for my off-grid house. The DC power comes thru a diesel powered generator.
Thanks

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: direct connect inverter generator

IF that 28 volts is closely regulated, and is also nice and "clean", which means it's smooth power, not all chopped up in pulses, having only an average of 28 volts, you should have no problem. Usually a battery bank is required to provide this quality of power supply, because typical DC sources direct from generators, turbines etc tend to be jumping and pulsing all over the place, which would probably quickly take out your inverter.
    Cheers
    Wayne
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

O.K, say I don't want to risk damage to the inverter can I send the DC power thru a deep cycle battery to "clean" the power? Or will I need multiple batteries (24V) to handle the output?
    I have a couple of used up deep cycle batteries (6V) that I can experiment with.
    Thanks.
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

It wouldn't take much to "smooth" out the output. The other advantage is if you have a big load the batteries will take some of the hit with a motor start. Just connect four 6-volt batteries in series. 28 volts is just about right for charging them, but if left on for a long time it might boil off some of the water so keep an eye on it.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    532dawes wrote: »
    Is it possible to connect a DC source of 100A 28V directly into an inverter (DR2424) or does it need to go thru a battery bank first? I don't have batteries yet. Maybe a dumb question but I'd like to perform some testing of my DC power. I'm slowly getting the bits together for my off-grid house. The DC power comes thru a diesel powered generator.
    Thanks

It depends on the generator. We know that it sources current, but what about sinking ? If the inverter is powering a low power factor (reactive) load, it's possible that the energy returned each cycle to the generator will not be liked. A battery or capacitor would help absorb that reversal of current and help keep the DC side voltage from going too high. That's the only concern I might have off the top of my head.:D

Then again, it might work just fine as is ?

boB