What is "power asymmetric"?

vtmaps
vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
I was looking at the data sheet on Steca Solarix inverters and in the table below (from this document) one of the specifications is "power asymmetric". What does that mean?
Attachment not found.

--vtMaps
4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: What is "power asymmetric"?

My guess would be, for example, somebody using a 1/2 wave rectifier (battery charging, using a diode to reduce light from a filament bulb, reduce output of a space heater, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    BB. wrote: »
    My guess would be, for example, somebody using a 1/2 wave rectifier

That makes more sense than anything I've been able think of. Do other sine wave inverters have this limitation? --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    My guess would be, for example, somebody using a 1/2 wave rectifier (battery charging, using a diode to reduce light from a filament bulb, reduce output of a space heater, etc.).

-Bill

Since this inverter offers both 120 and 240 volt outputs, my guess is that 350 is the max power you can draw when only loading one AC phase, while 500 is the output it can deliver to a 240 volt balanced load.

Not asymmetric waveform but asymmetric (unbalanced) phase loading.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.

I don't think any of those inverters are 120/240 VAC split phase...

As a kid, I had taken an old high intensity lamp and added a diode to make it two level of brightness... Also, ended up cooking the transformer for the lamp (created an average DC current flow?).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think any of those inverters are 120/240 VAC split phase...
    OK, next hypothesis is that asymmetric refers to low power factor? 350 VA at poor power factor, regardless of how much or little the actual watts drawn are? While 500 VA is the output for PF of 1, where VA=Watts?
    Or, it could indeed be a load that only pulls from one polarity of the output, since that would take more peak current during each half cycle to make up the same watt or VA value.

As a kid, I had taken an old high intensity lamp and added a diode to make it two level of brightness... Also, ended up cooking the transformer for the lamp (created an average DC current flow?).

Yes, and a very high one too...
    If you had used a diac, triac or other symmetric breakdown device, which held off on each phase until some voltage threshold you would not have had net DC, nor would you have dissipated much heat in the "dimmer". But the transformer would still have buzzed like crazy. Almost as badly as with a Modified Square Wave inverter powering it. :-)
    -Bill
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.

Give me a break--An 8 year old with a lamp, a diode, and a soldering iron. :roll:

VA rating should be Amps RMS--No PF derating needed (for watts). They are very careful about using VA everywhere except where they specify Watts.

Limiting to 350 VA with Asymmetric current flow(?--Only pulling current on 1/2 of the voltage wave form--i.e., 1/2 wave rectification) would seem that only 1/2 of the FETs would be under load--So that would be a derating to prevent overheating those FETs (i.e., cannot carry full rated VA on only 1/2 the switching transistors).

-Bill
  • vtmaps
    Only pulling current on 1/2 of the voltage wave form--i.e., 1/2 wave rectification) would seem that only 1/2 of the FETs would be under load--So that would be a derating to prevent overheating those FETs (i.e., cannot carry full rated VA on only 1/2 the switching transistors).

So then, do many/most inverters (such as my Outback) object to 1/2 wave rectification? --vtMaps
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭

Has anyone contacted Steca Solarix and asked them, or is this more fun? :D
  • BB.

I would assume that any inverter would have problems with 1/2 wave rectification loads... If, as ggunn asks--this is what Steca means.

I cannot think of any common loads that use 1/2 wave rectification these days (you used to be able to by diodes that would go in a lamp socket under a filament bulb that would allow a lamp to run at "1/2 power"--But I have not seen anything like that for almost 50 years (even then, it was probably just in our junk drawer).

-Bill
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    I would assume that any inverter would have problems with 1/2 wave rectification loads... If, as ggunn asks--this is what Steca means.

I cannot think of any common loads that use 1/2 wave rectification these days (you used to be able to by diodes that would go in a lamp socket under a filament bulb that would allow a lamp to run at "1/2 power"--But I have not seen anything like that for almost 50 years (even then, it was probably just in our junk drawer).

-Bill

I believe that a hand held hair dryer uses a diode on the low setting and maybe some other appliances ??

The typical inverters are designed to be able to run 1/2 wave loads. They have to be able to do that and
    not break at least.

boB

PS... Maybe what is meant by power asymetric is any load with power factor less than 1.0 ??
    That would be my guess.
  • BB.

I would have thought they were taking Power Factor into the discussion--But given that they define their limits as VA and not Watts--Power Factor does not enter into the discussion as a limiting factor (assuming that they are using RMS volts/Amps / Meter for the V*A rating).

-Bill
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭

So, is someone going to contact the inverter company to settle this bar bet? :D
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Nah, we'll settle it in the men's room, more stimulating that way :roll:... yes it is... no it isn't....

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • vtmaps
    ggunn wrote: »
    So, is someone going to contact the inverter company to settle this bar bet? :D

You already answered that question earlier in this thread:
    Has anyone contacted Steca Solarix and asked them, or is this more fun? :D

--vtMaps