PVI-6000

Options
pyles76384
pyles76384 Registered Users Posts: 3
I'm new here so go easy on me. I have a VAWT that I am experimenting with, 7.5 kW Ginlong and 2 PVI-6000 inverters, 2 wind box interfaces, dumpload resistors and isolation transformer. My question at this point is...how to keep the PVI-6000 inverters powered up, It's a real pain without the wind to load MPPT tables and experiment with the system.
Thanks David

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: PVI-6000

Welcome to the forum.

For testing turbines the secret is to not put them up; keep them on the ground, take the blades off, and drive them with a motor. That way you can simulate any wind speed you desire.

Here's another hint: if you have them up on towers and keep running in to that "without the wind" problem the site probably isn't suitable for wind power and this is never going to work.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

That is a good question--Probably one to ask Power One...

I can think of ways to create a compatible energy source for the input the GT inverters (basically an AC or DC voltage source and use some filament lamps to limit current/power into the GT inverter)--But it does sort of become a bit odd on how to supply enough power to keep the electronics alive without actually doing the GT conversion and "selling" energy to the grid.

If you are going to do a lot of experimentation, using a variable speed motor of some sort (perhaps even a gasoline engine) to drive the generator/alternator is a good place to start. But that is going to be a 10-20 HP gasoline engine if you want to have rated power into your GT inverters (a good rule of thumb is you need about 2x times the HP of a gasoline motor per unit output of the alternator--I.e., 7.5 kW alternator * 2= 15kW or ~ 7.5 kW/0.746 kW per HP = 20.2 HP).

Unless you are trying to evaluate the PVI's in a lab condition (how efficient they are with wind turbines, how do two PVI's share the output of one wind turbine, etc.), I am not sure it is worth the effort--Either you "trust" that Power One did their job well--Or you are evaluating for a large contract down the road.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • pyles76384
    pyles76384 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options

Thanks for your replies, I do have a test stand with a 20hp motor and VFD that I used for testing, but I have just the 1 generator that I must move to the test stand or out to the wind turbine. What I am trying to learn about is how to use MPPT tables to get the most bang for the buck.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pyles76384 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies, I do have a test stand with a 20hp motor and VFD that I used for testing, but I have just the 1 generator that I must move to the test stand or out to the wind turbine. What I am trying to learn about is how to use MPPT tables to get the most bang for the buck.

User ChrisOlson, in this thread, discusses in a general way the use of MPPT tables and described downloadable table sets for the Midnight Solar Classic and various standard turbines which might be a very good place to start.
    He may also have some helpful hints on developing your own tables.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't know how useful this page will be for you, but it is interesting and related to calculating
    wind power curves...

http://www.mindchallenger.com/wind/axial14a.html