why do a lot of electrical untility companies limit PV installs to 10KW?

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
Is this just an arbitrary number? Some of the mc mansiions around here, can easily use a 20KW system!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: why do a lot of electrical untility companies limit PV installs to 10KW?

In California, I believe the 10 kW number was a base at which you did not have to install real-time utility grade logging of energy generated. You can install larger--but the requirements become more strict and the billing less advantages (I think--I stopped paying attention--things keep changing).

More or less, larger systems place large demands on local infrastructure--And could force upgrades to distribution transformers/power lines.

And, "uncontrolled" distributed generation can cause grid stability issues too (voltage regulation, current flow in lines, etc.).

In our area, the original requirement was for Solar GT systems to "break even" on power usage... A 10kW system can generate ~1,500 kWH per month in my area during July. Not a huge amount of energy if you have A/C and electric appliances.

In the end, solar GT systems in California are subsidized by the rate payers--so this is one method of limiting the subsidies.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset