Mobile inverter quick disconnect question

Options
balee123
balee123 Solar Expert Posts: 86 ✭✭
Hello,

I have a Prosine 1800 that I would like to be able to quickly remove from my car when not in use. I would like to "hardwire" the DC cables (4/0) to the 12 volt battery and would like a safe quick disconnect from the inverter. I ran across the Anderson connectors on NAWS and these seem like the best solution that I have seen, unless someone knows of something better or more convienient.

The problem is what is the best/cheapest way to attach the 4/0 to the Anderson lugs? If I'd like to have the cables crimped, how does one go about doing this? How would one find "crimping services".......I'm in San Diego, CA. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Mobile inverter quick disconnect question

what loads do you plan to run? Those are going to be monster cables.
    Hope you don't intend to start the car after pulling 1800 watts.
    ps that is a very heavy load from a 12v battery...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • balee123
    Options

Loads could be upto 1800W......various things that could add up to that. For arguement sake lets say a hair dryer or a small microwave (but probably not the microwave).

Yes they are monster cables.....I could use them in another application later.

The car is a Chevy Volt. The 12V battery terminals can have as much as 175A supplied from the car's main traction battery....~2100W.

I don't intend to "start" the car afterwards. It doesn't use the 12V battery like a regular car.

Any ideas on how to get the crimping done?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

For crimping services/making cables--You might try the local battery distributor/electric forklift shop.

If you are into do-it-yourself--People have gone as far as taking a pair of bolt cutters, softening the cutters with a torch (near red hot, let cool slowly). Drill a couple different appropriate size holes, and re-heat treat (head red hot again and quench in oil or water).

There are hammer crimping tools (not perfect, some folks do not like the quality of the crimp). And there are Harbor Freight and similar hydraulic crimping tools (4/O may be a bit large to find).

Need a Lug Crimper

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    balee123 wrote: »
    The car is a Chevy Volt. The 12V battery terminals can have as much as 175A supplied from the car's main traction battery....~2100W.

So there is a DC to DC convertor going from the traction battery to the 12 volt terminals? The non-plug-in Prius does not have that, since it can run the IC engine as needed to spin an alternator to charge the 12 volt battery. But without the 12 volts to run the controls, the traction battery cannot start the IC engine.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    So there is a DC to DC convertor going from the traction battery to the 12 volt terminals? The non-plug-in Prius does not have that, since it can run the IC engine as needed to spin an alternator to charge the 12 volt battery. But without the 12 volts to run the controls, the traction battery cannot start the IC engine.

The Prius has a DC-to-DC converter just like the Volt, which is good for about 108 amps @ 12 volts (1300 watts). But the Prius needs 300 watts for itself so you could put a 1000 watt inverter on the 12 volt system like the Volt. The Prius doesn't have an alternator, it has two electric motors, one of which acts as the engine starter and the traction battery charger. First it gets powered by the traction battery to start the engine then it backfeeds the traction battery through a charge controller/inverter that converts DC to/from 3-phase AC.

balee, you may find the link in my signature interesting.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options

The large Anderson Powerpoles are probably your best bet. Powerwerx.com sells the crimper for the large powerpoles that take 4/0 cable but it is $250 !! You can find much cheaper hydraulic crimpers on ebay that would probably work. As suggested, local battery or welding shop may be able to do a crimps for you.

HERE's someone who did a more permanent install of a cheapo 1200 watt 12 volt inverter into his Volt.

I like your idea of the disconnect. I just purchased a Prowatt 2000 to use in a small solar system I'm putting together to power the freezer in my garage. If I end up getting a Volt it would be fun to be able to power it off the Volt in a pinch.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Anderson Connectors of the proper size and ratings.

http://www.solar-electric.com/anhicupoco.html

Tony
  • balee123
    Options

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll look for a forklift company to see if they might be able to do this for a small fee.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    balee123 wrote: »
    Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll look for a forklift company to see if they might be able to do this for a small fee.

I doubt that it will be an issue for your installation, but just a mention for others reading this thread:
    The Anderson Powerpole connectors are great for their intended purpose, which is for indoor, weather and water protected use. Don't try to use them for exposed wiring outside, or they will corrode down to nothing. The connector shells are probably not UV rated for sun exposure either.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options

A 30 yr + forklift battery guy I know never crimps the connectors, he always solders them. I have had success using a propane torch and electronics solder. Works great for me. Some also crimp them and then solder them. The only problem I could see is if they are arcing and heat the solder up to melting, (624 degrees F I think) but otherwise no problem.
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014.