E-panel (wrong model shipped)

I have a Outback FX3048 inverter and ordered a "stretched" E-panel for this inverter from The Solar Biz. When it arrived, it was the incorrect model with a 250A main breaker instead of the 125A main breaker that I was expecting. What do I do now? I do have all #4/0 (0000) AWG battery cables, inverter cables. I am using (8) Sun-Xtender PVX-305 batteries. Do I need to ship this E-panel back or can I just use it (I believe I was billed the cost of the E-panel with a 125A breaker)?

Thanks,
Kevin

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: E-panel (wrong model shipped)

Kevin,

The factory recommended DC breaker for the 3048 is 100 A. See: http://www.outbackpower.com/pdfs_spec/FX_Domestic.pdf

The 100 A and 125 A breakers are smaller (1 inch wide) than the 175 A and 250 A models (1.5 inches wide), and have smaller cabling studs. My E-panel has the larger 175 A breaker, and it’s not clear to me about how to go about retro-fitting a smaller breaker.

I think the mounting hole spacing is the same for both size breakers. See this pic for a Mini-DC enclosure with the smaller breaker, and this pic for the Mini-DC with the larger breaker. Replacing the larger breaker with the smaller one would apparently leave gaps on either side of the smaller breaker.

Here are my suggestions:

1) The Midnite folks (Robin Gudgel, et al) are wonderful to work with. Shoot them a note explaining your situation and requesting assistance and/or a recommendation. See: info@midnitesolar.com
    2) Depending on what Midnite tells, you, contact The Solar Biz and request a retrofit kit and exchange breaker, or a complete E-panel exchange. I also dealt with TSB in the past, and they seem like very reasonable and customer-focused vendors.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer