pulling dc from battery bank to run motor

Options
Hello,

I would like to run a 24 vdc pump motor. I could take my inverted power to an IOTA 120AC to 24DC converter.
The wiring already exists, but it seems a bit inefficient going from Dc to AC to then go back to DC.

Is there a good way to take directly from battery back (8 X 6volt, 48vdc) and then maybe convert 48dc to 24dc, with no deleterious effects to the batteries? The drawback here perhaps would be installing sufficient wire to run 48 vdc to the 24 vdc convert at the motor. The run is about 150'.

Thanks in advanced for your ideas/experience.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: pulling dc from battery bank to run motor

Welcome to the forum.

Do you know how much power this 24 VDC pump motor draws? There are DC to DC converters which can do the 48 to 24 Volt conversion, providing you can find one that can handle the power demand. It is also important to know this for sizing the wire run: 150' is quite a ways even for 48 Volts.

One example: http://www.powerstream.com/dc48-24.htm

Since motors are fairly flexible on their Voltage requirements, another option might be a wound resistance to drop the Voltage at the pump when running. Not the best solution, though.
  • puyehue
    puyehue Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options

thanks for the quick reply-

the full load motor current is 7.32 A.
  • puyehue
    puyehue Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options

and just read that the allowed voltage range is 24-30vdc....
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    puyehue wrote: »
    thanks for the quick reply-

the full load motor current is 7.32 A.

That presents a bit of a problem. For one thing it would require a larger converter than the one I linked to. For another it would need at least 10 AWG for that 150 foot run @ 48 Volts.

You'll have to shop around a bit to see if you can find one that can handle about 10 Amps, just to be on the safe side.