Battery operated timers?

Options
bebey
bebey Solar Expert Posts: 27 ✭✭
I've been searching for battery operated wall outlet timers so that I can turn certain devices on/off depending on the time of day (when the sun is shining) and off at night. For example, a fan I use to keep my power house where the equipment is located, I would like a fan to turn on while it's sunny but off at night, and a freezer on most of the day but off at night. I know I could use standard timers but I would need to force my inverter to stay awake. I'm thinking if I could cycle off these particular devices, my inverter would sleep until it sensed demand somewhere else. I think the freezer would be stay plenty cold if it was cycled off 5-6 hours a night during the wee hours when not in use.

Does such a thing exist? Better way to do it?

Thanks!

Comments

• firerescue712
    firerescue712 Solar Expert Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Battery operated timers?

There are several on another forum that have bought them off eBay. They are from overseas, so buyer beware. Those that have them have no problems. Search eBay for Timer DC 12V. Good luck and be safe.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,456 admin
    Options

Watch putting a timer on the freezer... If you get >5F, long term food storage is affected.

Question - Best Freezer Temperature

And cycling a freezer ("warm" to "cold") can cause/make freezer burn worse.

Our host, NAWS, sells a DC powered DC/AC timer.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • firerescue712
    firerescue712 Solar Expert Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you, BB. I was not aware of NAWS selling one.
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We got one of those DVRs recently and I shut it off at night with this thing.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-timer-95205.html.

I don't remember putting it on the Kill a watt, but I could make it turn on and off even when it wasn't plugged into the wall, so I assume it draws zero watts.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have at least 5 timers in use like that. Each has a rechargable button battery inside it. They're great for battery maintainers, PVR's, lights, fans, even my Takagi water heater. If your inverter is on search, no problem...if the power goes out, no problem...the internal battery keeps the programs in memory for when the power comes back on. Thier draw when active you can't even measure unless you leave the KAW meter on for a month (my guess)

Ralph