High voltage charge controller?

2»

Comments

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Re: High voltage charge controller?
    This was what I was wondering about: you're planning on power standard AC loads from a battery bank via an inverter?
    I'm not familiar with any inverters that run on 192 VDC.

Look at my signature and you'll find one old one and one modern one (the APC SURT line, between 3 kw and 6 kw).

And I'll add that they are highly configurable (regular settings and a special programming mode), and can be monitored multiple ways through serial or Ethernet. The one I have claims a minimum of 92% efficiency.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭

Check out this 10 KW open source charger kit on DIYelectriccar.com. There is an option in software to charge from DC source. They may even add MPPT tracking to it in the future. Fully assembled unit is $2K.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

An update to this thread, I just found several companies offering 192 volt nominal (battery) MPPT solar charge controllers. Several looked fly-by-night so I won't include them, but this one appears to be from a long-term company. They also have a 110 volt controller which might be useful for the OP, although that is lower than his stated need for 120 volts.

http://www.olympuspower.in/products/green-solution/mppt-solar-charge-controller/
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • MarkC
    MarkC Solar Expert Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used the Midnite Classic 250 KS? It seems to fit the nominal 96 volt battery "packs" that are found in the larger Smart UPSs from APC (SURT 5000/6000). This would require some switching of the Anderson connectors for emergency use of the charged packs as two in series are required to operate the SURTs, but is quite easy with these SURTS. However, the Midnite website has a statement that this model will be discontinued as of Jan. 1st due to lack of demand and support:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=259&productCatName=Charge%20Controllers%20for%20Solar,%20Wind,%20Hydro&productCat_ID=21&sortOrder=4

Anyone purchased and used one of these?

Has anyone used any of the Olympus Power units mentioned by techntrek?
    3850 watts - 14 - 275SW SolarWorld Panels, 4000 TL-US SMA Sunny Boy Grid tied inverter.  2760 Watts - 8 - 345XL Solar World Panels, 3000 TL-US SMA Sunny Boy GT inverter.   3000 watts SMA/SPS power.  PV "switchable" to MidNite Classic 250ks based charging of Golf cart + spare battery array of 8 - 155 AH 12V Trojans with an  APC SMT3000 - 48 volt DC=>120 Volt AC inverter for emergency off-grid.   Also, "PriUPS" backup generator with APC SURT6000/SURT003  => 192 volt DC/240 volt split phase AC inverter.  
  • highvoltpower
    highvoltpower Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭

A simple charge controller suitable for applications, controller uses 2trim pots to set a low and high switching voltage. Meant for a classic windmill or charging application, using a 12v battery, the high trim pot might be set at 15 volts, and low  might be set at 12 volts.

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    boB said:

What can and has been done to charge higher voltage batteries with lower voltage charge controllers is to take 2 charger
    controllers and charge each battery half separately.

For instance, we used to use 2 MX60s set for 60V battery to charge one 120V battery. You could also use more than
    2 controllers set for lower battery voltage. Each controller must have its own PV array though.
    Let me add a second suggestion here.

What I have done in the past is do what you describe, but only charge half of the battery at a time.  I used a DPDT relay to switch the output of the charger periodically between the two halves with a simple 555+flipflop timer.  I also used a large electrolytic cap so that the charger doesn't see much of a voltage transient when the relay flips.  This is hard on the contacts at first since they are effectively carrying equalization current between the two battery halves (and for that reason I wouldn't recommend it as a good final solution)  but once the two halves are equalized they tend to stay that way, and the relay doesn't see abuse past that point.  It's simple and cheap though, and only needs one (relatively standard) charge controller and one solar array.

Note that this makes the charger 'float' (i.e. its - terminal moves from zero to Vbatt/2) so you have to be very careful about grounding and return paths.
  • MarkC
    MarkC Solar Expert Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    What I have done in the past is do what you describe, but only charge half of the battery at a time.  I used a DPDT relay to switch the output of the charger periodically between the two halves with a simple 555+flipflop timer.  I also used a large electrolytic cap so that the charger doesn't see much of a voltage transient when the relay flips.  This is hard on the contacts at first since they are effectively carrying equalization current between the two battery halves (and for that reason I wouldn't recommend it as a good final solution)  but once the two halves are equalized they tend to stay that way, and the relay doesn't see abuse past that point.  It's simple and cheap though, and only needs one (relatively standard) charge controller and one solar array.

The Leaf uses a parallel set of contacts with resistors that pre-charges the caps before the main contactor is closed. Could be a solution to the full current/voltage during battery bank switches with the application of some timing logic.

There is a commercial DC/DC converter designed for EV voltage levels of charging that can operate both AC and DC inputs:
    http://www.emotorwerks.com/index.php/component/azurapagebuilder/page/17

I've asked eMotorworks about MPPT functionality for solar, and seem somewhat interested, but currently focused on the "DC quick-charge" market with CHAdeMO style EV charge connectors.  Slow, but continuous coupling of solar/EV technologies.

3850 watts - 14 - 275SW SolarWorld Panels, 4000 TL-US SMA Sunny Boy Grid tied inverter.  2760 Watts - 8 - 345XL Solar World Panels, 3000 TL-US SMA Sunny Boy GT inverter.   3000 watts SMA/SPS power.  PV "switchable" to MidNite Classic 250ks based charging of Golf cart + spare battery array of 8 - 155 AH 12V Trojans with an  APC SMT3000 - 48 volt DC=>120 Volt AC inverter for emergency off-grid.   Also, "PriUPS" backup generator with APC SURT6000/SURT003  => 192 volt DC/240 volt split phase AC inverter.  
  • davidjaz
    davidjaz Registered Users Posts: 1
    So I know this is an old thread, but I have run into a similar issue.  I think I might have found a solution.  It looks like the Chinese are making some high voltage charge controllers.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#sent/157c66a31a8b2de2
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    David, welcome to the forum.

It looks like that is an email message in your Google Mail Box--I don't think anyone else but you can access it.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset