Any solar power consultants in the Austin/Bastrop Texas area?

Options
bebey
bebey Solar Expert Posts: 27 ✭✭
I didn't see any mention on the forum anywhere else so apologies if I missed it.

Is there anyone interested available to come out for a consultation on a solar project for an off-grid homestead? I'm located in Red Rock TX, approximately 50 mins southeast of Austin TX. We have a homestead with lots of gardens, permaculture implemention, orchard, greenhouses (soon), animal husbandry (we love our meat in TX), and many other projects. We are curently grid connected but have a smaller off-grid setup we have been playing with to learn (details below). But we are ready to take it to the next level and some very specific objectives we want to meet. We are complete noobs (new) when it comes to electricity/power although we are very strong in the other areas mentioned above. I just want to be sure before we spend money that we are doing things right the first time. I've been trying to pic this up myself, but considering what we want to accomplish, and the limited time-frame we want to get it done in (ASAP), I feel it best if I had a consultant. I've looked locally for one but what I've found so far does not instill a great degree of confidence...

Current: 12 Schott 202 watt panels, Outback 80, 8 Trojan T-105s, Xantrex TR2424 (modified wave) Tri-metric, miscellaneous PV and standard breaker boxes with lightning surge protection. Have been starting to measure all of our devices uses and also ready to upgrade to mini-split A/C (HOT in TX but our house is small). Considering: Adding more panels, dump the Xantrex and replace with a Magnum 4400W 48V 120/240v Inverter (full sign and also capable of powering multiple types of well/water pumps) and replace the T 105s, possibly L16s or bigger. We have/will consider grid intertie buy TX only pays back wholesale rates, and we are less concerned with the electric bill that we are to provide full off-grid power security for the homestead, so we are leaning in the direction of two completely separate systems, one grid for our big comfy toys (we are both IT consultants for Fortune 100 companies) and a separate system to run the essentials of the homestead separately.

We know there are many many options and would require significant discussion/evaluation, hence reaching out for some local help if possible.

Thanks for reading. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Bret
bret.ebey(at)gmail.com

Comments

• bebey
    Options
    Re: Any solar power consultants in the Austin/Bastrop Texas area?

Thanks Neil! I should have caught that considering I do a lot of security in IT. Oh well, human again dang it... :)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

no problem. i guess you noticed that i moved the thread too.

as to your question you can look up installers in your area by your phone book or even at the back of home power magazine. some time ago i remember another very good link to installers that could advise you, but i forgot what it was.

now for general speak, the best is a straight grid tied system. this has the highest efficiency, but is useless in an outage. to backup anything you must be able to supply that much power in watthours x 2 as the batteries would be rated for making any large sustained draws very expensive to do.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    bebey wrote: »
    I didn't see any mention on the forum anywhere else so apologies if I missed it.

Is there anyone interested available to come out for a consultation on a solar project for an off-grid homestead? I'm located in Red Rock TX, approximately 50 mins southeast of Austin TX. We have a homestead with lots of gardens, permaculture implemention, orchard, greenhouses (soon), animal husbandry (we love our meat in TX), and many other projects. We are curently grid connected but have a smaller off-grid setup we have been playing with to learn (details below). But we are ready to take it to the next level and some very specific objectives we want to meet. We are complete noobs (new) when it comes to electricity/power although we are very strong in the other areas mentioned above. I just want to be sure before we spend money that we are doing things right the first time. I've been trying to pic this up myself, but considering what we want to accomplish, and the limited time-frame we want to get it done in (ASAP), I feel it best if I had a consultant. I've looked locally for one but what I've found so far does not instill a great degree of confidence...
    If you are grid connected already, it probably will make no economic sense for you to "get off the grid". Off grid power will be something on the order of 10X (or more) as expensive as grid power.

That said, here in Austin the guys I know with the most extensive experience in off grid systems are Kenny Grigar at Self Reliant Solar and Maverick Brown at Maverick Solar.

Good luck!
  • bebey
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. I will reach out to the contacts mentioned.

My goal is not about the most cost efficient (and I understand the grid-tie is the best way in that regard) but a completely independent system that powers the required basics (excluding the luxury items which will remain on-grid). It's all about power security for me, remaining up during extended blackouts with the core functions.